Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Limit  (Read 794 times)

rud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FPS Limit
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »

I love the new ability to change the FPS limit on the fly.  I don't really like the way it works though, it's hard to speed things up for a while and then get it back to the initial speed you were just at a minute ago.  Ok, so it's not hard, but it is very mildly frustrating :-)

What I think would be better is a command that turns on/off the FPS limit entirely.  Couldn't find this suggested anywhere since the Increase/Decrease FPS buttons were added, my appologies if it was.

Ideally there would be two bindings, one which turned off the FPS limit only for as long as you held down the button and another which was a toggle instead.  Hanging on to the original Increase and Decrease buttons as well you could still control the speed the game ran all the time too, but a turbo button would be sweet!  Anyone else think so too?

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Limit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »

I can hardly meet my fps limit past the 50 dwarf mark. I don't think this is necessary anytime soon.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

rud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:08 am »

well, you could say the same about the increase/decrease FPS limit buttons as well, yet they did somehow find their way into the game.

Really, 95% of the time I have less than 50 dwarves, might be why I use those buttons so much.  Small forts are good for experiments which are good for fun.  I can't be the only one!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:50 am »

well, you could say the same about the increase/decrease FPS limit buttons as well, yet they did somehow find their way into the game.

Really, 95% of the time I have less than 50 dwarves, might be why I use those buttons so much.  Small forts are good for experiments which are good for fun.  I can't be the only one!
How do you accomplish this? Embark in a world with a dead civ?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

rud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:14:01 pm »

I used to adjust the population cap, in the last few versions migrants seem to ignore this and I'm not sure if it's working right now.

Lately, I just haven't kept a fort going too long before I restart.  The early game is much more fun to me than the late game.  I keep intending to launch a mighty fortress with a remarkable standing army and booming dwarven economy, yet scratching the surface of a new site is more enjoyable for me for some reason. 

I'm going to start a new fort soon with the intention of letting it grow, however I still don't really want a ton of dwarves.  If the pop cap still isn't working then unwanted migrants will be forced to relocate, probably to a pit, probably full of magma.

Also, like I said, experiments.  If an experimental fortress lasts more than a year something probably went wront with my experiment  ;)

When I posted, my current fort was getting around 400 FPS consistantly.  I had 7 dwarves and was merely experimenting with the raws.