Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military training issues.  (Read 399 times)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military training issues.
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »

I had this posted in another thread but decided I didn't want to thread-jack, so here's my own post.  Basically I can't get dwarves to train, whether it's individually or in a group.  Here's a list of what I've done to get them to train:

Built a Weapon Rack (Via mason workshop)
Built the weapon rack in an 11x11 room.  Designated the whole room as a barracks.  (Via q, then r)
Built Training Swords (Via Carpenter workshop)
Made a custom uniform called Training, the only thing added to this uniform is the Training Sword, nothing else.  (Via m key)
Added a dwarf to Militia Captain via the nobles screen  (Via n key)
Created a squad off of that Militia Captain using the Training uniform from above, then added another dwarf to the squad.   (Via m key)
Changed their supplies so they don't need food or water  (In the military screen)
Changed their schedules so that each month, they were set to training.  I also modified so that it was a 2 dwarf minimum, not 10 (Via s key from the military screen)
Closed out of the military screen, then opened up the Squad screen (Via s key)
Activated the squad via the A key, then hit "t" to set them to active/training.
Hit "q", went over to the earlier weapon rack, then hit "t", "i" and "q" for the squad training stuff.

I watch the dwarves move around, pickup their equipment, then move to the barracks room.  They then just stand there and do nothing at all.  Looking at their jobs from the "u" key, the militia captain is "Organize Combat Training" and the other dwarf is "Wait for Combat Training"

Things I've tried:
Resizing the barracks room, with them in it.  They just move to the new designated area.
Using 4 dwarves instead.  Same thing, except I get 3 that are "Wait for Combat Training" instead of 1.  Schedule still set to 2 minimum
Using just 1 dwarf, the militia captain.  He also just stands there "Organize Combat Training".  Schedule set to 1 minimum.
Adding armor to the uniform.  They go and get it before heading to the barracks but still will just stand there.

Seriously, how does this work?  Coming from 40d, this new military stuff is getting to be very frustrating, to the point that I don't want to even play.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

What weapons is assigned to your dwarfs in the first place?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »

The wooden training sword.  Before that, they are NOT a miner, woodcutter or hunter so they have no weapons on them.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:15:42 pm »

Its fine, especially without a high "Organizer" skill, the one leading the Training will need some time to set it up.
You really have to bring patience and maybe some stress ball to handle the military. Just dont care for the actual training, let them do in their barrack whatever they want.
And when you need them: lock up the armor/weapon stockpile so they dont decide to swap their identical armour pieces over and over... and dont wonder why only half of your squad shows up on the battlefield (even soldiers need to sleep and eat after soooooo long training sessions).
(a>b) ? false : true