Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stopping dwarfs from undermining.  (Read 471 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
stopping dwarfs from undermining.
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

Every now and then I want to channel somewhere where there is no save area underneath. For example at fort some time ago I wanted to make a large amout of magma based traps (hatches,bridges ext.). However the elven traders (who were pissed off anyway because I tried to sell them a piece of wood (accident)) when the traders got to the area the miners were all almost finished (I recently lost most miners so these guys were dabbeling). So they walk over to the exit and suddently the entire caravan except for 1 gaurd drops down trough the now opend floor and the smell of backed hippy comes out of the hole.

Now not that I have anything against burning the elves but this was not what I ment. So does anybody know an easy way to prevent dwarfs from channeling underneath someone else?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stopping dwarfs from undermining.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:11 pm »

Only channel when nobody else is around?

I noticed this was a problem in 40d. I haven't seen it in 2010, at least my miners aren't undermining each other. If they cooked the elves, what's the real loss? Rope Reed? The only thing you need to be careful is, while they won't undermine each other (as far as I can tell) they will happily channel in such a way as to cause cave ins, even if there was a safe was to do it as well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: stopping dwarfs from undermining.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:29:35 pm »

they will happily channel in such a way as to cause cave ins, even if there was a safe was to do it as well.

I've never had a problem with channeling causing cave-ins; the miners seem to always work from left to right, mining out vertical strips.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.