Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Is it me, or are good games coming back?  (Read 4885 times)

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it me, or are good games coming back?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 05:20:08 pm »

"Good" and "bad" are weak words for any discussion.

I think a better way to describe it is that games have gotten more safe.  Some people see that as a good thing, some don't.

You can pick up any AAA game nowadays and it's going to be fun and keep you busy for dozens of hours.  So much effort goes into those games, and every little aspect has been studied and focus grouped and so on.  The games are polished, balanced, have good tutorials, and they've been deliberately made fun and addicting.

Whereas in the olden days, it was a total crapshoot.  Games were obscenely bad, but on the flip side, the good games were unique and legendary.

Devs don't have the luxury of innovating any more.  They are paid to use established IP, stick to tried-and-true concepts and mechanics, and make them incrementally better with enhanced graphics and UI.  The result is fun games that are worth the price but that don't push the envelope or take risks.

Which means we lose out on the chance to risk big win big. We've flattened the curve - games are safer than they were before, and even moreso with the advent of DRM and DLC.

That's where the indies come in, who have far less to lose and don't have to play by the rules...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »

Of course, if you seriously think that games were better before, you can just buy them from the Wii store. Everybody wins!
Oooor, I could just keep and play the games I already bought years ago.

I also can hardly imagine x-com being a hit on the don't-think-flail-your-arms console.

Games were not better in the 80s, we just don't remember all the horrible ones.
I remember them. The problem is that I remember the good ones. And that's coming from someone who doesn't like arcade much. It feels a bit harder to remember good 00s games, compared with 80s & 90s.

At least for me. *shrugs*

Lets see... The good 00s I can remember... Psychonauts, Okami, Max Payne (not sure if it's 00s), FEAR (only the first one), GTA 3 & 4, Portal, TF2, Deus Ex, and.... I guess my memory ran short there. I might be missing something. Carmagedom maybe? I think that's from the 90s.

I guess the point is, I'm not saying there aren't bad games, it's just that we end up going back to those oldies non-stop instead of focusing on new stuff. For an example, the borderlands chatter died pretty quickly, but did we ever stop talking about x-com?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

That's the 70s.

You looked too far back.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER HOW MUCH FUN I'M HAVING!

I think I have one of those.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »

That image didn't register the first time I read this thread. They... They made games for the oscilloscope? What? How does that even... augh.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

That image didn't register the first time I read this thread. They... They made games for the oscilloscope? What? How does that even... augh.
It was the first game ever made. >.>

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 05:45:11 pm »

The one playing there looks like volleyball.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 05:55:24 pm »

The last and most recently released triple-A game that I bought and actually enjoyed (for a little while at least) was Oblivion.  I think I bought Civ 4 a while after that, but hated it.  I honestly have not been able to buy anything in the last few years because they look like utter crap to me. 

I was anticipating Elemental: War of Magic up until a few months ago, but lately it has looked like a really dumbed down MoM and have no intention of getting it.  Same thing with Civ 5, it looks like Civ 4 with hexes.  Starcraft 2 is simply Starcraft HD, and what's the point of getting it if I can't play LAN?  That's the only way I enjoyed SC 1.

Shores of Hazeron is the most fun I've had playing a game in about 6 years.  It's a game I haven't had to tell myself, "Other people love this for some reason, so you better keep playing it longer so you can figure out why it's so good".  I have actually wanted to play it because I really really wanted to play it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:58:45 pm by GaelicVigil »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »

opinion  (əˈpɪnjən)

— n
1.   judgment or belief not founded on certainty or proof
2.   the prevailing or popular feeling or view: public opinion
3.   evaluation, impression, or estimation of the value or worth of a person or thing
4.   an evaluation or judgment given by an expert: a medical opinion
5.   the advice given by a barrister or counsel on a case submitted to him or her for a view on the legal points involved
6.   a matter of opinion  a point open to question

Just sayin :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:57 pm »

ITT, people complain about how much games they admit to never having played suck
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »

Everyone who says the 80s and 90s were the golden age of Videogames often forgets that they also had more BAAAAD games then we get now.

The difference however is that we get a LOT more mediocre games now adays.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 06:30:04 pm »

opinion  (əˈpɪnjən)

— n
1.   judgment or belief not founded on certainty or proof
2.   the prevailing or popular feeling or view: public opinion
3.   evaluation, impression, or estimation of the value or worth of a person or thing
4.   an evaluation or judgment given by an expert: a medical opinion
5.   the advice given by a barrister or counsel on a case submitted to him or her for a view on the legal points involved
6.   a matter of opinion  a point open to question

Just sayin :P
I find your argument lacking. You say that the words of doctors and barristers are "not founded on certainty or proof", but don't offer any reasoning on WHY this would be so. I think you're letting your personal bad experiences with them cloud your judgment. In any case, I feel you shouldn't push your opinions about the legal system and modern medicine here. This thread is not for that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:32:30 pm by Soadreqm »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »

Fuckin' nostalgia, man. Gets us every time. Frankly, I'm just here to play the video games. Let someone else debate the merits of this era and that.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 06:40:14 pm »

I guess the point is, I'm not saying there aren't bad games, it's just that we end up going back to those oldies non-stop instead of focusing on new stuff. For an example, the borderlands chatter died pretty quickly, but did we ever stop talking about x-com?
Someone mentioned that earlier. Large game companies don't want to potentially risk large sums of money developing an innovative new game, so they stick to making games they know already works and gives them enough profit. There are are countless of boring, generic FPSes out there that basically all look the same, but for some reason, these still sell. This is what distinguishes indie game developers from large game companies, their priorities are allocated a bit differently. Large game companies mostly want to make money. Indie developers mostly only see the money as an added bonus.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »

I find your argument lacking. You say that the words of doctors and barristers are "not founded on certainty or proof", but don't offer any reasoning on WHY this would be so. I think you're letting your personal bad experiences with them cloud your judgment. In any case, I feel you shouldn't push your opinions about the legal system and modern medicine here. This thread is not for that.

Take it up with Collins English Dictionary not me. Also note that with dictionary definitions, they are not saying 'all these are true of all opinion definitions' but that 'these are alternate uses of the same word'

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »

Wow like a troll, only we should be grateful for it!  Wow, way to go Tilla.  Congratulations.  I disapprove.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:16:23 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6