Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hanging?  (Read 1349 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hanging?
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:22:09 am »

If you were to attach a dwarf (or any other living thing for that matter) to a restraint, and then removed all but one of the tiles around the restraint, making sure the victim was stood on one of them, causing him to fall, what would happen? Would the victim be strangled and die? Would he automatically dodge to another tile?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:13:07 am »

If you were to attach a dwarf (or any other living thing for that matter) to a restraint, and then removed all but one of the tiles around the restraint, making sure the victim was stood on one of them, causing him to fall, what would happen? Would the victim be strangled and die? Would he automatically dodge to another tile?
I've heard tales of this being done to cats (of course).

IIRC, what happened was the cat fell 10 Z-levels, then bungeed back up to the restraint tile. No cats were injured in the performance of (this) Dwarven Science.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »

I think I've heard they just hang in the air, not dying, but not doing anything else. I think I also heard that deconstructing the restrain causes them to fall. Suspending a goblin commander over a pit of lava, (should be) painful enough as it sounds, then forcing him to watch his comrades thrown in, listening to their burning screams, then cutting the rope(via a lever linkup, since the gobbo might scare anyone deconstructing it) and dropping him in. It's all very dwarfy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »

Suspending a cat over a pit of lava, (should be) painful enough as it sounds, then forcing it to watch it's kittens thrown in, listening to their burning screams, then cutting the rope(via a lever linkup, since the cat might force into empathy anyone deconstructing it) and dropping it in. It's all very dwarfy.
Fix'd.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:29 pm »

Someone please confirm whether bungee or hanging what happens, and if it's hanging, does it count as infinite free-fall. Because that might but dwarves into stasis.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »

Someone please confirm whether bungee or hanging what happens, and if it's hanging, does it count as infinite free-fall. Because that might but dwarves into stasis.

I am sure that 20 minutes of dwarven science in a test fort would give you a concrete answer one way or the other...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:43:51 pm »

I have tested this in 40d.  I haven't tested it in DF2010, but I have no reason to suspect the physics have changed.  In 40d the moment a creature becomes airborne it is removed from the chain.  It will not bungee back or walk back on its own.  It will still be assigned to the chain, so provided it survives and the chain is still reachable a dwarf will eventually come along and drag it back to the chain.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »

Someone should Dwarvern Bungee off the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »

Someone should Dwarvern Bungee off the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just had a, wait, what do I call this? A dwarfgasm?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

Maggasm
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.