Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Solar plasma storm to destroy earth!  (Read 6805 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Solar plasma storm to destroy earth!
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:03:19 am »

Several news reports are saying that there was a massive solar flare recently which will bring the Auroras down, much closer to the equator. Go stargazing, folks! Hope for clear weather.

Nevermind, it's only going down to the northern US or thereabouts. And since most of canada is basically the north pole anyway, nobody's going to notice. *awaits vengeful crowd of hokey-playing luberjacks.*
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:06:18 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Solar plasma storm to destroy earth!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:11:37 am »

I call The Thing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Sarah Palin can see the Auroras from her house. Which makes her an expert astronomer.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:55 am »

Place your bets, how long will it take for someone to connect this event to the 2012 myth?! *In a serious, non snarky way. That means your inevitable responses to this claiming relation to the 2012 myth don't count.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:28:17 am »

It's a Sign!  The sun is getting more fusion-ey (kinda like the opposite of Sunshine) and, according my my expert calculations the sun will EXPLODE on Dec 12, 2012  (when translating the mayan calendar, most people forget about leap years - since I made this note, I must be right, because a flake wouldn't remember to account for that)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:25 am »

We are literally in more danger from lightning wizards than we are from December 12, 2012.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:43 am »

Sorry MetalSlime, but the theory that we were overdue for a solar storm that real scientists, with labcoats and everything, and some experts believe will conveniently strike in 2012 have been around since they knew we were overdue for a solar storm.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:34 am »

...I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not....
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:00 am »

I'm serious.  WE can't bet on when they'll link the solar storms to 2012 because they did it years ago.
Shoes...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:16 am »

We are literally in more danger from lightning wizards than we are from December 12, 2012.

I love to see the word literally used literally on occasion. Thank you.

But yeah, we are expecting some increased solar activity around 2012, nothing worse than 2001, 1990... the whole 11-year cycle. Nothing to worry about. In fact, we could string up these big metal meshes and collect engery from it, in theory.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:53:23 am »

Energy....OF DOOM!

Or maybe just the electrical kind. Maybe a little doom-y.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:59:10 am »

Northern US? Cool.

As for it destroying the Earth, I think the worst that will happen is that everyone relying on a pacemaker is going to have a heart attack. That, and my computer getting fried. FUUU-!!!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »

If I recall what I heard correctly a few months ago, there's software that can prevent your electronics from being fried in a event like that. It's just new and not commonly used. I should go and look to see if it's real or not...
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

Sounds like bollocks. Keeping electronics from getting fried by EMP is a hardware engineering issue, it's not something you can "patch" in later.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »

Like I said, I didn't know if it was real or not, considering the truth rate of rumors and all.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4