Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I'm hating this  (Read 6262 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: I'm hating this
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »

Bedrooms are one of the first things I carve out, and are usually my first stone gathering area.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Spartan-67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »

I don't use dwarf companion and i usually have 2-3 idlers at 80 population, if you can't use them, train them if not kill them or make the haulers
It is ineffecient, will accomplish next to nothing, and is complete overkill. It will also probably not work. In other words, dwarfy.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »

i normaly kill all useless migrants

or draft them
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 10:21:34 pm »

I usually enable most of the farming labors, hauling, smelting, and masonry on my useless peasants.

If my food/drink stocks are below 1000, I get worried. Plus my 6+ smelters need attention, and megaprojects don't build themselves.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 10:54:43 pm »

wood cutting (wooden training axes work great for this)

Say what?  How...  Denito cancels post:  head asploded.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:41 pm »

I totally sympathize:  when I get the first or second wave of migrants is usually when I quit playing.  Either I use that as the time to quit playing for the night, or it leads me to abandon a fort.

But, this thread has given me an idea.  From now on I'm going to build a bunch of these outside my forts:
Code: [Select]
Side view:

>==+
 <^^ ^^

That's stairs, with a bridge, over some cage traps.  I'll command the migrants to construct a floor where the + is; when it causes a cave-in (you can build floors attached to bridges, but they're unsupported) it'll stun the migrant and knock him off the bridge where he'll be caught in the cage.  Then I can cage all my new migrants until I have a use for them.

You know what would be awesome?  Would be if you could throw dwarves into the jail on trumped up charges.  Then you wouldn't need an elaborate cave-in system to imprison new migrants; you could just send your sheriff or hammerer to round up the miscreants.  Can dwarf therapist be used to mark dwarves as criminals?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »

For some reason it's never really bothered me, I grumble a minute, hover by the edge of the zone to reassign all skills into things I need, then designate some large area to be smoothed and take my time with accommodations and trudge along with food and booze output.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 12:08:00 am »

Can dwarf therapist be used to mark dwarves as criminals?
Dwarf therapist can't, no, but runesmith may be able to.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:58 am »

I must be in the minority that I love getting migrants.  I really like the idea of hundreds of dwarves hollowing out an entire mountain hundreds of metres down into the rock ready to take on any and all threats.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 07:10:39 am »

Yeah, me too.  i don't really feel like a fort has got going until I'm over 80 dwarves.  :D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:22 am »

I'm like.

"Okay you have a useful skill. You will be the stonecrafter" and "Whohey you can butcher. Go ahead and do that" .. and then I just look over the 30+ heads of idiots who can only milk or tame animals. and I go into dwarf therapist and I'm like "Okay. ALL OF YOU. You get to haul and carpent and mason. got it?"

and then the useful dwarves don't have to haul so they're less likely to run into danger or waste time .. and the useless dwarves can just use their skill to build their own lodgings!.. and a castle for the nobles! also dedicated Miners and woodcutters are good to have.

An easy way to keep track of them in Dwarf therapist is to enable animal care on EVERYONE ... I did this to see who'd help an injured dog but no one did. so. animal care is broken. it's, to me, basically just a checkmark that means "has been assigned a duty" and then i leave it at that
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:19 am »

I generally use mason's workshops and workshop profiles to work through this.

Make a distinctive mason's workshop... out of black bronze or something with a very unique color. Assign this workshop in its profile to only accept high-level dwarves, such as Masters, High Masters, Grand Masters, and Legendaries.

Make a dozen or so normal mason's workshop, and set it to not accept Legendaries or Dabblers. These workshops will make blocks, and blocks only.

Your dabblers will be the ones that actually bring the blocks to the fort's construction sites. Your tweeners will make Rock Blocks/R, levelling them up and producing better building materials. Your high-ups will work on the stuff that has a quality modifier, such as furniture and stuffs.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 11:24:32 am »

Blocks?
Why blocks?

I never found anything useful with using them. Except for the structures that needs it (Wells and something more)
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:58 am »

Blocks?
Why blocks?

I never found anything useful with using them. Except for the structures that needs it (Wells and something more)
Walls. Floors. Fortifications. Obelisks. Arrow towers. Castles. Colossi. Magmaducts in the sky. You should never build these things out of raw stone. It's undwarfy.

Also, blocks have no quality, and are thus unaffected by who makes them. They do, however, earn XP for the ones who make them.

I view Masonry as one of the only important civilian skills, the others being Gem Setting, Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, and Blacksmithing.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:20 am »

Blocks?
Why blocks?

Because they are identical as building materials to raw rocks, except you need to make them in a masonry first, which will net you a bunch of exp. In fact, I don't think building constructions itself gives the dwarves any experience at all.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4