Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can dwarves with severed limbs recover?  (Read 7277 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can dwarves with severed limbs recover?
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:19:47 pm »

I've got two dwarves with severed limbs lying around in my hospital, and am wondering if either of them will ever get out of bed. One of them has a missing foot, while the other is missing a lower arm and has a leg wound.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves with severed limbs recover?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 01:09:06 am »

Not sure if this carries over to this version, but dwarves who lose limbs in 40d get "phantom pain", which can debilitate them even after they heal as much as they are able. It was affected by Toughness; tough dwarves would get out of bed, weak ones were hosed. This may be happening, or you may have a bug, or something completely different could be going on. I'm not sure, I'm afraid, but the phantom pain thing is definitely a possibility (and would be my guess).
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:35 am »

I have a dwarf with a lost arm who is walking normally and doing his stuff around in the fortress. My dwarf with a lost leg, on the other hand, is stuck at the hospital. I guess one problem is that the dwarf with the lost leg had no other wounds, so there is nothing really to diagnose, but he is still listed as "red cross".

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:25:19 am »

I had a Hunter Dwarf in 40d who lost an eye to a Cougar. After healing everything but the missing eye, he used to walk around the Fort passing out about once every minute or so... it was quite pathetic. I built a pump for his private use, and had him spend all day "pumping air" just to get him back in shape. By the time he leveled up two or three times and reached "very tough", he no longer passed out from the pain, and was a useful Dwarf again.
Never pet a burning dog.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:41 am »

They can indeed recover, assuming a functioning hospital. However, this is largely moot for leg wounds as of 31.10, as they won't use crutches, so they'll just sit on their hospital bed. This has probably been fixed, but the leg wound / missing arm dwarf is definitely going to get up.

Delduvat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:02:59 am »

They can indeed recover, assuming a functioning hospital. However, this is largely moot for leg wounds as of 31.10, as they won't use crutches, so they'll just sit on their hospital bed. This has probably been fixed, but the leg wound / missing arm dwarf is definitely going to get up.

I second that, have an Axedwarf without a hand who fights even better then some two-handed ones in 31.10.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:13 am »

I had a woodcutter who had a hand bitten off by a crocodile, I didnt have a hospital set up even and he was ok after being unconcious for a while.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:21 am »

Severed parts are currently considered as never having existed, I think. It's a bug, of course, but if the leg is removed then the doctor doesn't see anything to diagnose and they don't get crutches because he can't see anything wrong with them. I believe crutches are supplied on an injury basis (i.e. to dwarves with injured legs) instead of them being supplied to all dwarves with "ability to stand lost".
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:52:32 am »

I've got three dwarves (one with an amputation) stuck in the hospital.  One poor kid grew to adulthood in the 6 or so years in the hospital.  I don't think he will ever be treated.   95% of my dwarves get treated okay, plaster cast aside.  But some are unlucky.

As for military utility, one less limb means no shield, and shields are absolutely crucial to combat...    as is being able to stand.

(By the way, is it just me or do arterial wounds never get treated either?  I have a lot of guys running around with an A+ on the health screen)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:35 am »

It's probably been fixed in .12 but for a while I had an axedwarf who had his right hand chopped off.  He recovered just fine and went back to axedwarfing, holding his shield in his left and his battle axe in his right hand.

I imagine a battle-scarred dwarf with a majestic dwarvenly contraption strapping a huge battle axe blade to the stump of his right arm, a-la Ash's chainsaw in Evil Dead.

Check the health status screen.  There are a lot of things indicated there, including things like nerve damage.  Some injuries that cause nerve damage leave your dwarves as invalids for life.  Dwarves can recover from what look like crippling injuries though.  At least partially.  I have one with a "bruised lower spine" who apparently crawls from place to place doing her work; she still blinks with a red + and moves very slowly.  It's very sad.  And the hospital bugs still outstanding that have already been mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:08:47 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 01:20:52 pm »

I had a dwarf who had lost his arm in a cave-in/fall (the whole arm was blasted off when he hit the ground), who continued to still be a jeweller in the fort.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »

I had a fisherdwarf who lost both hands.

He was very tough though and the bleeding stopped pretty fast. He was like "i don't need your stinking hospitals!!" and went about fishing ... err... TRYING to fish. and I got spammed with "Cancels fish: too injured" .. and then "Cancels clean self: too injured" etcetera.

I had him put down.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »

Yeah, turns out the guy with the damaged leg has leg nerve damage. I'm keeping them both around, even though they do consume hospital space.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »

If they do, that's not a dwarf, it's a witch. Get an axe.
Rogan?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 02:57:13 pm »

Other threads imply that dorfs permanently in the hospital are useful for some noble positions, since they can't get up and tantrum if you don't meet their demands for housing.  Doesn't help when they give orders for someone else to be punished, but it's something.  I haven't tested it myself because so far my nobles have been surprisingly reasonable in their mandates.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: [1] 2