Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh nerve damage, my old nemesis  (Read 985 times)

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
Oh nerve damage, my old nemesis
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:06:04 pm »

I'm sure many of you recall back in 40d that training dwarves would usually play Mortal Kombat with each other during their training and sometimes end up with spinal damage and become useless. Thankfully in the edition dwarves are more careful during their training.

To get to the point, during fighting off a siege, one of my dorfs got his spine bruised and is chilling in his bed right now. I'm sure that he'll never recover. That said, I'm sure there is something in the raws that can allow him to recover from nerve damage, but I forget what it was. Any ideas?

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh nerve damage, my old nemesis
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:11:36 pm »

Bruising usually recovers pretty easily, don't worry about it.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:18:29 pm »

Wait, nerve damage can recover in this version?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:23:37 pm »

spinal healing likely depends on the type of injury. since there are differences between injuries like severed, broken and bruised, bruises should be recoverable. having had a "bruised" spine in reality, it was a painful but not debilitating 2 week recovery. you will have to wait and see what happens with your dwarf.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »

According to the raws, nervous tissue does NOT recover (in DF, anyway).

If you want to change this, in the tissue template raw file, find NERVE_TEMPLATE and add [HEALING_RATE:100] to it, which is what skin, muscle, and the like use. Lower numbers heal faster, if you want.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.