Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McClothier cancels Weave silk dress: needs 10000 silk cloth  (Read 1128 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just what the hell does that message mean? It sounds pretty ridiculous. I'm using 0.31.12.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McClothier cancels Weave silk dress: needs 10000 silk cloth
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:09:27 pm »

10,000 is the material value of a single piece of cloth IIRC, like the number of threads that make up a cloth, so that only part of a single "Cave Spider Silk Cloth" gets used for tying wounds and so on. It's a display bug where DF displays the hidden value rather than the one the player sees, but it's not a mechanics problem.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

i get someting like this whenever i run out of a needed item. i get requests for silly numbers of metal bars, animal tallow, lye... you name it. im on the .10 version, havent changed up to .12 yet. it does not affect gameplay, you just need more silk cloth is all. however many it normally needs for the article of clothing you are making, not 10000.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:08:32 pm »

So, what you're saying is, the clothier came and told you that the amount of cloth he needs is "OVER 9,000!!!!"?

<_<

>_>

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:00 pm »

So, what you're saying is, the clothier came and told you that the amount of cloth he needs is "OVER 9,000!!!!"?

<_<

>_>

Hokan has had to endure the decay of a popular meme recently.
Hokan has gone stark raving mad!
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:44 pm »

Also, because dwarves don't always put back partially-used cloth or thread in the hospital (or the hospital was restocked while the thread was being used, or the hospital was overstocked to begin with), partially used materials sometimes go back to the normal cloth/thread stockpiles. This generates cancellations messages because weaving, clothmaking (and possibly dyeing) jobs can only use whole items, not items that have been partially used.

Confirmation is needed, but this seems the logical result of the hospital storage bugs. From what I have seen dwarves also seem to prefer to take cloth/thread out of the stockpile for healthcare use, even if the hospital is already stocked (though this could be a result of proximity taking whatever the dwarf was closest to when he took the job).