Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door oddness/exploit  (Read 628 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door oddness/exploit
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:10 am »

I know this is probably old, but I've never seen it discussed anywhere before.

As you can see, doors can be constructed next to a wall, and that wall (whether constructed or natural) can be removed without affecting the door- it's still be used and can be locked normally. (I can't really illustrate this with screen shots, but try it yourself if you don't believe me.) I've used it here to make the entrances to my dining room and dormitory five tiles wide and with a bunch of doors between them (mostly for the good thoughts dwarves get for seeing a nice door, and also to avoid traffic jams.)

On the right you can see where I'm setting up some more around a garbage dump, to keep miasma from dumped items to a minimum while still allowing dwarves to dump stuff and, again, to avoid traffic jams.

Just a neat oddity I felt like sharing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:06:15 am by Particleman »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Door oddness/exploit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:06:30 am »

I know this is probably old, but I've never seen it discussed anywhere before.

As you can see, doors can be constructed next to a wall, and that wall (whether constructed or natural) can be removed without affecting the door- it's still be used and can be locked normally. (I can't really illustrate this with screen shots, but try it yourself if you don't believe me.) I've used it here to make the entrances to my dining room and dormitory five tiles wide and with a bunch of doors between them (mostly for the good thoughts dwarves get for seeing a nice door, and also to avoid traffic jams.)

On the right you can see where I'm setting up some more around a garbage dump, to keep miasma from dumped items to a minimum while still allowing dwarves to dump stuff and, again, to avoid traffic jams.

Just a neat oddity I felt like sharing.

It was in the 40d version of this page:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Door#Free-standing_doors

Could probably be copied over.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Door oddness/exploit
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:44:42 am »

I did not know this but even better that Wiki page may just have solved a long standing problem I have not known how to fix - an 'Abandoned Owned Door Stop Item' that has drastically increased my forts vulnerability to attack. Well, not really anymore but having a large area evacuated of all industry wasn't really in my plans....
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.