Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walls on top of walls  (Read 1305 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Walls on top of walls
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:03:54 am »

So I had a wall but i wanted to put another wall on top of it. but when i tried to do this my dwarfs kept walling each other in on top of the wall with no where to go. I ended up having to make scaffolding out of stairs. This is working but its slow and i have to deconstruct my stairways afterword. any advice on how to speed up a project like this?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walls on top of walls
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:19:32 am »

This may have changed as I've not really checked since this version of the game but before it would always build the last construction you placed first so as long as when your placing walls you make sure they are added in the reverse order you want them built it's okay.

For long stretches of wall you'll have to check which end it built first but it should be consistent. Sorry I don't have more accurate details :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:29:04 am »

It does but the problem was they were walking along the top of the wall and more than one dwarf was trying to help so the second would block the first and the third would block the second. it was kinda funny cuz they just stood on top of the wall lookin confused when it happened.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:37 am »

If you require a multi z-level single width wall the quickest way to do it seems to be

provide access to the middle of the wall
assign the build for the complete new wall
suspend everything except the two end squares
Once these are built unsuspend the next two squares.

You can speed things upo if you place a stone stockpile near the wall, but you must let it fill before assigning the wall constructions (stones seem to be choosen at the point the wall is assigned).

In practice you are likly to be better off building an floor next to each layer of your wall (z0 wall, z1 floor, z1 wall, z2 floor, z2 wall) and leaving it there after constructions as deconstructing it would be as award as building the single layer wall.

#_
#_
#.......

This does mean that you can replace some of the walls with fortifications and it gives a nice defensive platform for you marksdwarfs to shoot crossbows through.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:52 am »

Nice, thanks drayath.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:23 am »

Or you place a serrie of bridges next to it and let those get deconstructed afterwords.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:22 am »

bah, real dorves build a 5 tile thick wall that's hollow, and can be filled with magma

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:50 am »

i normally stick a floor on the side of my wall then remove it

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:18 am »

I use stairs, because they are easier to deconstruct when the time comes (they can be removed from below).  Use up stairs on the lowest level and up/down stairs for the rest, this gives your dwarves full access to the wall for building, so does not cause any bottlenecks or pathing issues.  Once you have your project built, start designating the scaffolding to be removed, one whole layer at a time.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:22:06 am »

Has anyone ever used bridges as scaffolding for large walls?
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:16:58 pm »

I have.  If I want to remove the scaffolding later, here's what I do:

(side view of bottom zlevel)
Code: [Select]
/X¯T
I build a ramp and wall (wall first), then a grate/hatch/bridge, then a support on the ground and floor tile on the support.

You build the entire scaffolding on that structure.  The scaffolding needs to be (at least) two tiles away from the wall, and the bridges need to be retractable (so that 'wall' part of the retracted bridge is on the scaffolding).   As you're building the wall, you should also link all the bridges to a lever, and the support to another lever.

When you're done with the scaffolding, you retract the bridges, and deconstruct the support on the ground.  The whole scaffolding (except the initial ramp/wall combo) will collapse, and you can deconstruct the ramp/wall from ground level, leaving nothing of your scaffolding except a pile of gears and rocks.  It's fairly fast to set up, and extremely fast to deconstruct, and gives you 100% access to the wall.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:03 pm »

Why would you link up all the bridges? Wouldn't they just collapse anyway if the tiles supporting them are gone?
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:08:27 pm »

They could be supported by the wall, since they're up against them.  I've never actually done it without retracting the bridges, so I don't know if they'd fall anyway.  I'd rather not risk it, as it would be annoying to get back up to them if they don't fall.