Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceiling height  (Read 1279 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ceiling height
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:05:15 am »

So, as my fort is growing I figured I'd give my extra dwarfs that are just sitting around something to do. So I built a huge wall around my fort on the surface. That went rather quickly and I still had a bunch of dwarfs not doing anything, time to build a pyramid! Only trouble I have now though is that I've hit the ceiling for my area. How do people building mega projects deal with this? Is there a way to raise the ceiling so I can eventually cap this pyramid?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Ceiling height
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:47 am »

At world gen, you can set the "ceiling" height in the advanced parameters.

Dunno if you can change it afterwards.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:30 am »

Thats good to know the next time I start. Though if anyone knows how to edit the one that I have so I can finish my little building that would be great.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:26 am »

You are stuck with it now, there is no way to change your fortresses dimensions after embark.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:27:02 am »

What you could do instead, is excavate the area out and (re-)build the pyramid from a lower starting level.

There's challenges in that.

(I had a 40D megaproject whereby I was forming a pyramid and a series of obelisks out of natural rock.  i.e., creating them by excavating the 'pit' around them, leaving just them in situ).  With the only construction being single electrum 'spire' ramps on top of them all and a set of bridges slung between the obelisks.  The 'quarry' was (IIRC, working from ) 125 tiles long and wide, and while I was going to take it most of the way down to the map base (leaving an underground system) I had 'only' got about 15 levels down, as well as digging out the actual 'working' fort into the 'walls' at the edge, so you can work out roughly how much spare stone I had laying around (ignoring the pyramid footprint).  Can't remember why I didn't get finished, but maybe I should dig up the old files and finish it.)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:37:57 pm »

also, if you want to keep using your world without regenning it with a higher "ceiling", you can embark in places with a lot of height variation. you use the tab key on the embark screen to check out the heightmap as well as the severity of cliffs. having a big mountain along one side or in the corner of your embark area garuntess a lot of overhead space to build in.

conversely, you can hollow out all the space between two layes of caverns and build your pyramid in there. that would be significantly more epic.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »

conversely, you can hollow out all the space between two layes of caverns and build your pyramid in there. that would be significantly more epic.

oooo that would be awesome!  is it possible to cage forgotten beasts?  Some of those, some megabeasts, some artifacts... now you're cooking.  Plus I'm crazy, so I'd make the whole damn thing out of glass.

...and imagine if the top of the pyramid happened to be directly below an above-ground river!  you could channel out the appropriate square in the winter and install a grate, and have a massive waterfall too!

Sorry guys, I've just had a LOT of caffeine.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:49:32 pm »

I thought the new version automatically added Z levels as you built upwards.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »

No. There is a famous bugged map where that happens, but that is related to the bug that made cyan metal form a 2222+ level spire.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »

Well crap, I was really hoping that I'd have some way to hack the save that could up the ceiling height.
This is my first fortress where I've managed to get above 150 dwarfs. Though to be fair its been slightly easier as I (unknowingly) embarked in an area that has no contact with Goblins, Elves, or Humans.

It looks like I'll just be going 15 levels up and then capping it off, or maybe making 50 some odd tiny pyramids. I'll make it more epic by capping each of them with adamantium blocks.