Tombs
- 37 (22.7%)
A massive underground burial chamber
- 48 (29.4%)
Just a normal burial,nothing special
- 45 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?  (Read 6804 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
What do you do with your dead dwarfs?
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:54:29 am »

I usually make a burial chamber nowadays.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:00:20 am »

I wanted to plunge their coffins into the ocean, but Dwarves are stupid and kept removing floors in a manner that caused them to fall into the ocean along with the coffin. After losing two children to this, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. So now I just place some coffins in the underground forest and put dwarves in them. Nothing fancy, but it works. Maybe I'll build a graveyard on one of the floors of the tower I'm building.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:08 am »

I give them tombs. Proper tombs. I've also taken to burying soldier dwarves with their weapon weapon and the one that killed them if I'm able to recover it.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:56 am »

...removing floors in a manner that caused them to fall into the ocean along with the coffin. After losing two children to this, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble....
Why would you ever want to stop?
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:12 am »

i like creating a large burial tomb under their room and using supports to collapse the room onto their corpses

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:13:58 am »

I only give tombs to dwarves that deserve them (e.g. my militia commander who got his arm bitten off, then stood up and killed the cave crocodile that did it), and when I think my dwarves deserve the best, they get the best. All the rest go in the mass burial chamber.
くコ:彡

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:22:01 am »

...removing floors in a manner that caused them to fall into the ocean along with the coffin. After losing two children to this, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble....
Why would you ever want to stop?

Urist McParent is stricken by melancholy!
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:43:18 am »

Depending on my resources and workforce i'll usually make a large chamber for the normal dwarves to die in and the important dwarves go into a tomb complex with traps, decorations and engravings.  Those nobles deserve it for all the hard work they do.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 01:45:52 am »

The spinning Melancholy strikes the Dwarf in the head! It is depressed!
The Dwarf's happiness is shattered!
Urist McDwarf has gone stark raving mad!

Gigantic tombs. I once put several wild creatures in my catacombs to give it a labyrinthine theme, but my burial dwarves kept getting killed, creating a kind of snowball-effect.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 03:03:46 am »

Yeah, tombs. Haven't made anything fancy yet but the underground labyrinth with giant cave spiders sounds certainly plausible.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:43:40 am »

The first handful of dead dwarves get regular stone coffins, I don't start building tombs until late in the game and I generally only give them to the nobles that get mad if they don't have one, and military.  If it's a dwarf that died from a failed mood or dodging off a cliff away from a kobold or some other equally dumb death, I have a no-quality stone coffin put somewhere insignificant and then walled off.  If there was a way I could keep their name from claiming a public coffin, I wouldn't even bother with that.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:09 am »

The more respected dead become dead ends in my fortress sealed in by a statue. Urists, and the occaisional noble, get to exist in a elaborate morgue spanning several well decorated levels. I feel micromanaging to get Urist mcAxecrazy, the sword of pawning, into a grave he deserves is worth it.

On the downside, most of the time, people are buried in poorly made graves. Makes me sad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:39:01 am »

Tombs, I respect the dead.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 04:43:38 am »

Used to be I'd just give em a coffin and be done with it, but now that I have a volcano I'm thinking a burial chamber that drops into the magma pipe.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:08 am »

When I get to the point where I have time to worry about it, I usually create a catacomb- just a medium sized room with a few dead end corridors branching off from it with niches every other square for coffins.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5