Tombs
- 37 (22.7%)
A massive underground burial chamber
- 48 (29.4%)
Just a normal burial,nothing special
- 45 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?  (Read 6798 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 12:58:27 am »

I provide for them proper burial.

Then, through courtesy of certain adamantine floor grates, deliver them straight to Armok.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 01:42:51 am »

Noone else here buries their dead in old viens?

Admittidly, i always do that with the intent of reburying them in a more fitting place at a later time, but, err, i kinda never get around to it.

this is exactly what i do.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 02:27:57 pm »

Normal dwarfs get a place in the catacombs. Useful nobles (Dungeon master, Bookkeeper, etc) gets tombs. Useless nobles are fed to whoever is sieging me next.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:57 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:20:44 pm by Bronimin »

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:25 pm »

SOYLENT GREEN
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:47 pm »

I build a couple of dense catacombs for regular dwarves. Any legendary dwarf gets a 3x3 room with all sorts of perks inside, including their own gold or platinum coffin. When they die I place them in their coffin and seal up the room with a gold or platinum wall and engrave it. 'Here lies the legendary so and so...' Nobles get the magma treatment.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »

I usually go with a large room with alot of pillars in it but seeing as my current fortress is named "Ultratomb" I feel inclined to do something better this time around :P

Vulcanius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 08:12:05 pm »

I usually go with a large room with alot of pillars in it but seeing as my current fortress is named "Ultratomb" I feel inclined to do something better this time around :P

Sounds like someone is addicted to fun.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2010, 08:26:21 pm »

I give them a tomb of 3x3 tiles and closed with a stone wall, just simple in early games, but later (when i have time for this) every tomb is smoothed and engraved. For heroes, (like my captain of the guard in this game, twelve goblins deads before he falls) I add statues and i do greater tombs.

I let the nobles rot outside of my fortress.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:28:07 pm by Shootandrun »

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »

Inevitably I will find a vein of gold that is long and skinny.  I mine out just this vein, leaving all the rock around it intact.  I then place coffins at the natural corners in this vein and smooth/engrave the whole thing.  This makes an awesome, natural hallway made of gold and lined with the coffins of my valiant dead.  If I embark with a mountain, I will make this tomb high up in the mountains above my fortress.  No particular reason, I just think it's cool and would be awesome to find while adventuring.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

Once I built a green glass obelisk on top of a mountain on a map with sand and a volcano to use for burial (I was going to cast an obsidian dwarf pyrmid [that is, an upside-down one] later).  At least, I completed the first floor of the obelisk just in time for my military to get ambushed by Giant Cave Spiders from the caverns on one of their training missions down there and slaughtered because they were using training weapons (to take longer to kill stuff to gain more experience) and I didn't have flux or tin (yet).  The GCS's then game out of the caverns (chasing a war dog) and killed everyone, somehow knowing to start with the legendary miners I was about to call up.  My pack of war dogs managed to get rid of them, but by then I was too weak to fight off the next goblin ambush.  I decided it was more fun to leave the obelisk with two coffins in it as a mystery for the inhabitants of that world than to reclaim it.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 03:02:25 am »

I did give the dwarves a beautifully designed burial grounds in 40d, always at the bottom z-level of the map. This is screwed up now because of the caverns and magma sea, and so I started to desecrate the remains instead.

As in: I've started to atomsmash dwarven corpses by now (to get rid of the skeleton objects and their formerly belongings), but the dead will get a coffin, sooner or later. Rather later than sooner though.

What I enjoyed best was to place those coffins at the sides of the entrance of the fortress. This provided a cheerful mood for all those caravans that entered the fortress, I imagined.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]