Tombs
- 37 (22.7%)
A massive underground burial chamber
- 48 (29.4%)
Just a normal burial,nothing special
- 45 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?  (Read 6799 times)

FreakinSatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »

I make catacombs with larger off shoots for nobles. I smooth the regular catacombs and I engrave the noble rooms, and make them kinda large so I don't have to put statues and shit in there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:06 pm »

I've gotten bored with this fortress, so I'm carving out huge tombs for everyone. Like, 11x11 for everyone. good thing economy's off...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

That's my next project. Make a tomb surrounded by skulls.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »

If there was a way to put skulls on display (gem-encrusted for dwarves, rotting on a spear for invaders and elfs) I would do that.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 01:26:27 pm »

I am disgusted by the people who want to give their nobles nice tombs.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »

In an older fortress I had a long trap-lined entrance corridor which I lined with glass coffins.  All dwarves who died in the fortress were placed in them.  Visitors and invaders would have to walk into the fortress under the gazes of hundreds of long-dead dwarves, and the dead would also have front-row seats to watch invading armies get torn to pieces by the weapon traps lining the entrance.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xyus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 01:44:04 pm »

In my current fortress, my dead usually either go to the Tower of the Dead, a small tower (currently 7x7x~15) designed to be a general mass burial chambers for my work dwarves and soldiers of no or little importance, or the Tower of Fallen Heroes, a larger-but-shorter tower (15x15x~5) that houses those dwarves who have provided a great service to the fortress in their lifetimes - mainly those great military dwarves who slaughtered countless hordes of enemies, but also a particularly proficient craftsdwarf who created ~90% of the artifacts the fortress produced. In the Tower of Fallen Heroes, each prominent dwarf gets their own floor, which acts as an above ground tomb of sorts. Both towers are connected together at each level by bridges.

The only dead that don't go in the towers are the nobles that require a tomb - I give them the typical engraved underground tombs.

I might as well do something with all of that extra stone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:48:40 pm by Xyus »

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

I am disgusted by the people who want to give their nobles nice tombs.

It's not like I have much of a choice if I want the fort to live long enough.  The nobles don't DO anything but socialize, and any time one of my dwarves takes a break, there's the nob willing to chat him up and be his friend.  Eventually it gets to the point that I want to kill the nob via magma/drowning/starving with a room full of kittens, but can't because he's friends with my legendary miner who will go berserk and mine himself some brains if I do.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 04:02:09 pm »

It's not like I have much of a choice if I want the fort to live long enough.  The nobles don't DO anything but socialize, and any time one of my dwarves takes a break, there's the nob willing to chat him up and be his friend.  Eventually it gets to the point that I want to kill the nob via magma/drowning/starving with a room full of kittens, but can't because he's friends with my legendary miner who will go berserk and mine himself some brains if I do.

Then do this quickly.
As soon as he enters the map... NOBLE LEVER, NOW!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

Then do this quickly.

Is that the same one as the goblin lever?  I get them confused sometimes.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »

Then do this quickly.

Is that the same one as the goblin lever?  I get them confused sometimes.

The noble lever is the one set in the Fun Room. Only the noblest of nobles are allowed to operate it. Careful tough, I think that if an accident happens, the lever profile is reset and anyone can use it.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »

Usually I just have a graveyard with coffins, though I'm thinking of designing a system where dwarves are buried in bauxite coffins in special chambers which are flooded with magma and sealed off, to protect the dwarf from evil spirits for all eternity.

For human or aboveground forts, I set aside an area for burying the coffins one level below the surface, with a statue over the grave or a weapons rack for a soldier's grave.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:39 pm »

Non magma-safe coffins in an area due to be filled with magma.  They rest, then they burn in a blaze of glory. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 11:47:05 pm »

If I ever get around to digging burial chambers (I almost always forget about a fort and go do something else), I'll build a vertically expandable temple and arranges coffins along halls and rooms in that temple. My current fort has enough z-levels to make a truly grand shaft from the magma sea to the surface, 200 stories above. This doubles as an execution chamber sometimes, Armok demands sacrifices since they can't make statues of him.

Another idea, I'll assign each wall of the temple to a different god, then assign the dwarves' tombs based on their object of worship.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:53:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:45 am »

I let 'em rot.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5