Tombs
- 37 (22.7%)
A massive underground burial chamber
- 48 (29.4%)
Just a normal burial,nothing special
- 45 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?  (Read 6807 times)

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your dead dwarfs?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 05:23:45 am »

I usually create simple catacombs for the commoners - corridors with little alcoves, sometimes with doors, on the sides with a single coffin in each.  Walls are smoothed and sometimes engraved, and a single statue is put at the end of corridor.  Nobles and such will get more elaborate tombs as befitting their status.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:36:35 am »

Too bad we can't control engravings. I'd be cool making tombs with engravings depicting the dwarf's life, accomplishments, and death.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 05:58:02 am »

Too bad we can't control engravings. I'd be cool making tombs with engravings depicting the dwarf's life, accomplishments, and death.

This is a masterwork engraving of a tentacle beast and a Dwarf.  The tentacle beast is performing a depraved act on the Dwarf.  The dwarf is screaming.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

rezon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 06:37:32 am »

The more respected dead become dead ends in my fortress sealed in by a statue. Urists, and the occaisional noble, get to exist in a elaborate morgue spanning several well decorated levels. I feel micromanaging to get Urist mcAxecrazy, the sword of pawning, into a grave he deserves is worth it.

On the downside, most of the time, people are buried in poorly made graves. Makes me sad.

Remember to seal spouse and pets in tomb.. I gotta start doing that.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 06:48:47 am »

I usually have worked up a blood-curdling hate of my normal hauler dwarves, so if one of those dies they end up down the magma chute with all my other junk.

I'll have a crypt, usually on the last floor, whith pre-built tombs assigned to each of my military dwarves, though. If the dwarf dies in a particularly heroic way, they will be buried. For example, one dwarf died in a cave-in trap I made, but said cave-in trap also caught a Glacier Titan in a cage, so to commend the dwarves sacrafice, he was buried properly.

One thing that has always annoyed me is how you can't bury dwarf body parts if they're still alive. I had a badass axeman who got his right arm bitten off by some horrible cavern creature, and I felt sort of bad just leaving his arm lying on the floor. The loss of an arm didn't seem to affect his fighting abilities in future battles, however.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 06:55:38 am »

A special tomb if they died in battle, atom-smash for the rest. Unless I liked them, or they pulled off a feat of badass that earned them a tomb.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:29 am »

Epic dwarves get encased in my obsidian fortifications.

Haulers go "plitch" in the magma.

Nobles are usually not recoverable.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:15 am »

If I have magma then they will be trown into it so they can join armok. If I do not have magma (yet) they are trown down a hole in the ground so they can get close to armok. Sometimes I recover the bodies after I get magma.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 08:05:50 am »

I use a mix. a small side corridor for the common dwarves, with a handful of 3x3 rooms for notable dwarves, and then some elaborate tombs for nobles.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:50 am »

I just build a hallway and put the coffins in there. Special dwarves, like useful nobles and titled dwarves, get a tomb prepared. Said tomb is covered in engravings and has the best coffins and cabinets I can get, and if there's a couple that's special, I'll put their tombs next to each other and have a door in-between. The dwarves with the prepared resting places usually have a grand or royal tomb. Useless nobles might get a tomb, but it won't be nearly as grand as those of the titled dwarves, with a possible exception of the monarch (mainly to keep said monarch from killing him/herself in a fit). If they get themselves killed before I can bother with a tomb, they'll end up in the hallway with the regular dwarves.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:25 am »

On my above ground fort I dig several 1x1 channels into the ground, I then mine out an extra square down in the ground where I put the coffins. Next to the downward ramp I place a statue, and when a dwarf dies and is put into his/her coffin, I seal the grave with some material they liked. Unless it was a berserk dwarf, then I seal it with microcline.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:35 am »

Catacombs/Communitytomb

That is, if the body is recoverable. If I know the cause of death, I leave a 'N'ote at the coffin. Most of them read: stupidity
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

my first (and only death, for now) was an idiot dwarf refusing to destroy the wall from a spot that the cave in wont land down on him self, at the end i gave up and he suicides so i throw him into the magma pipe and for some wierd reason i instantly get a 24 immigrant group coming to my fort.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »

I usually make a massive hall for dwarven dead that don't deserve their own tombs.  Which is half the fort, really.  The Original Seven usually get very nice tombs, their rooms sealed up afterwards, all that jazz.  It's like a museum, but they're still living in it.  For a while, anyways.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »

I make a sort of mausoleum for my dwarves.  The vast majority of dead get nothing but a coffin that is placed in a niche in the wall, but the important dead (soldiers, legendary workers, nobles) get tombs that I place at intersections in the mausoleum.  This usually leads to the important dead being placed deep within the catacombs.

I like to devote a whole layer to burial.  If I have enough time, I like to assign every dwarf a coffin so I know exactly where they are going.  Early on, when the migrants are coming in faster than I can make beds, though, I just place a bunch of community graves and then reassign them as I make more coffins.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5