Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bunch of bugs  (Read 2097 times)

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bunch of bugs
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »

I recently decided that, to celebrate the new version, I'd try to be hardcore and embark on a terrifying glacier.

Not being a complete idiot, I took the precaution of giving one of my starting dwarves weapon skills and some weapons and armour. Now that the arsenal dwarf position has been scrapped, I figured this was a safe bet.

And it seemed to be. My little warrior did a good job of equipping all the items I set to her. After a little while. You see, the first bug I noticed was that the squads from my previous fortress (which I had just abandoned), where carrying over on the 'create new squad' options. After creating and disbanding all of them (which retained their old squad names and uniforms, overriding any options I chose, and displayed the 1 position there was (the dwarf I'd just made militia commander as vacant) I finally made a new, working squad.

So, great, I think, let's have this fellah stand guard by my wagon whilst I get everyone underground, fair one.

A few seconds later, a skeletal yeti attacks. Okay, no big deal, let's see what my warrior's made of. The yeti is dispatched quickly. By my two stray dogs. Upon checking the combat reports, I see that dogs have gotten a lot more useful with the new update. However, my axedwarf, who I have set up with a copper battle axe and leather armour is uselessly punching away at the yeti. Yes, he has the axe in his hand, I check the inventory. Another attack by a skeletal polar bear and the dogs are dead. So is my warrior, not landing a single hit on the bear with his useless punches.

I quickly set up another dwarf to take his place. Again, he grabs the armour and the battle axe and stations at the wagon. And on the next attack, again, he punches uselessly at the enemy and then dies.

I think 'bugger it', let's just get the food inside and seal ourselves off. So this I start to do. I create a masons workshop out of ice and attempt to build a hatch cover. 'Mason cancels build rock floor hatch: no non-economic stone available'. Apparently ice can't be used in a mason's workshop anymore. Epic fail.

I abandon. Don't know what the hell is going on with the military but it's clearly broken as hell.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bunch of bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:48:35 pm »

That was a very specific bug. Military, for the most part, works fine for the rest of us.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »

I've had something like this happen. I mobilized the military to take out some cave nasties. It was last-ditch before abandoning in the first year, so I didn't bother properly arming them. One of them at least had an axe, but he tried punching, same as the unarmed sacrifices to Armok.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:40 am »

I create a masons workshop out of ice and attempt to build a hatch cover. 'Mason cancels build rock floor hatch: no non-economic stone available'. Apparently ice can't be used in a mason's workshop anymore. Epic fail.

I don't think ice has ever been usable for masonry or stone crafting, just for buildings and constructions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:39:36 am »

Maybe your commander just really likes punching things.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:45 am »

Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »

This is likely to be my incompetaence rather than a bug, but I had an axedwarf attack a goblin with her shield. She did a good job too. 
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »

I've had my dwarves put their weapon in their off hand and then not use it, but only rarely.  Usually they find some other reason to die.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »

This is a long shot, but maybe the dwarf was a better wrestler than axedwarf, so went with his higher skill?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 06:50:36 pm »

This is a long shot, but maybe the dwarf was a better wrestler than axedwarf, so went with his higher skill?

Nope, he had 0 in his wrestler skill. I set out all his stats before embark. And every dwarf I assigned the axe punched instead.

You're forgetting the 'memory from a previous game' bug for squads too. That was VERY odd, creating a new squad and seeing it have the settings from a previous game (which was even on a different WORLD)

otze3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 10:36:48 am »

Had the same happening after I played a series of Fun embarks on caves. DF doesn't seem to properly clean the memory when it comes to military stuff. Restart DF before you embark.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:15:07 am »

anyone else getting the Phantom Black tiles?

It has environment descriptors, but it's a big Blank, there's nothing THERE. it just blocks movement

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:27 am »

I find giving anyone copper/sliver/wood weapons causes them to punch, maybe they go with the thing they believe does more dmg, aka those materials are so useless they punch?
Nom nom nom

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:53 am »

I wonder... do gloves have any effect on punching?
If giving them wood/silver weapons makes them punch, why not give them steel/modded platinum gauntlets, and make damn sure it menaces with spikes of obsidian?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:35:04 am »

you know I have noticed that my steel armored dwarves punch ALOT harder (aka punching a goblins skull through it's iron helm and smashing it's brain.)  Maybe wrestlers are useful with 'boxing' gloves?
Nom nom nom