Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dwarf resource" management  (Read 865 times)

Tarlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dwarf resource" management
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:10:15 pm »

It would be very convenient to have an easy way to search for dwarves with certain skill. I propose the following addition to interface: select skill from full list and obtain
3 column table - Name_Prof, Skill_level, Is_allowed - ordered by skill level.
It is similar to noble appointment screen so not too much coding is required.

Whereas the above is really needed, ability to turn on/off the skill from this screen along with similar lists ordered by attribute (such as dexterity or creativity) would be nice too.

Xainiax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarf resource" management
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:42:35 am »

if this could be rolled into the unit list with maybe a seperate list to decide which skills to sort/turn on or off that could be a solution.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:22 am »

This is the sort of thing Dwarf Therapist exists for.

Yes, it would be nice if it were in the actual game, but Toady really isn't interested in putting things like this into the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tarlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:05 pm »

This is the sort of thing Dwarf Therapist exists for.

Many thanx! Great utility.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:52:30 am »

The game really needs an built-in interface similar to therapist. It's just plain impossible to keep track of all your dwarves after you get 100 of them without it.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:15:34 am »

Interface improvements are always welcome. The fact dwarf therapist exists at all is a testament to how bad DF's default interface is.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.