Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selecting the proper caged animal to PIT  (Read 746 times)

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selecting the proper caged animal to PIT
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »

Hello All!

I understand how to Build a cage properly. b->j.

I know how to expand the list by using x.

I get my desired cages in place near the pit or restraint I want to use just fine.

The problem comes when I have more of one animal type I am either trying to PIT or Restrain. When the list comes up to make the selection, there seems to be no way to expand the list or view the creature to get some hint of which (deer for example) is which.

My intention obviously is to PIT the animal that is in the cage right next to the pit. But of course what usually happens is that I have an injured dwarf after he opens a cage that is still sitting on the animal pile.

I have thought about making cages (b->j) in a locked room and then keep on guessing the right one to pit in the list that doesn't generate cannot reach object message.

Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance.
-CB

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting the proper caged animal to PIT
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:07:47 pm »

...My guess is that a dwarf wants to pit an animal, goes "hurr durr" after seeing the animal in question and you get Urist McHauler cancels Pit Animal: Handling dangerous animal (Or "Interrupted by
  • "?) You need to tame it, simply build a kennels right next to the cage if it's available in such a way. Unless you have...other applications for them, as in killing your dorfs, but there's enough magma to go around in that case.

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:02 pm »

From what I have seen on the boards, and from my experience, deer can not be tamed (at least with the dwarves i have. no DM). I have a bunch of camels tamed on the same map so  know it isn't a kennel issue. ( i don't want to mess with the raws)

That is why I am trying to pit a few of the deer. (pit with a nice 10 floor drop) and restraints for my breeding pair is what I am after for the rest of the deer.

So, brings me back to my original ? of how you determine which animal you have selected once  you have the cages built  near the pits or near the chains.

I am already working on a locked room, but was wondering if i was missing easier...

Thanks

I

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

Ooh. That.

You see, when you zone a pit, enter the zones again, move the cursor over the pit's area, and press P - uppercase, FYI. Then you should get a menu from which to work with, and the possiblity to change it into a pond (dorfs will fill it with water using buckets, you don't really need this unless you can't irrigate properly). You'll be also able to select animals to throw in there, but I suggest chaining the breeding pair of deer before then.

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »

Yes I am familiar with the Pit/pond designations.

The problem is, I have a cage built right next to the pit. Deer is inside. I  have multiple other deer in a stockpile. (in cages)

When I choose to pit an animal I see 4 different deer as a possibility for pitting. HOW do I select the 1 deer that is already in position by the side of the pit when all the PIT menu lists is

DEER
DEER
DEER
DEER.

No listed way to "x" expand this list like when you build a cage.
No listed way to view the creature to get a hint if it is a male female etc. no listing of the animals cage type either... (they all are caged)

What usually happens is that the one on the stockpile is let out and injuries a dwarf because there is no way to expand the list of creatures while in the pit menu.

I am not sure how to ask this question any clearer. Maybe I am asking the wrong question. Not sure..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks once again.

-CB

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »

Try to have the your animal-stockpile lockable. Lock the stockpile then assign all deer to the pit. Your dwarves will not be able to do those in the stockpile. After they are done with the other deer, you can free the pit again before unlocking the stockpile.

erm  i tried that myself  but it does not work very well. The process stops on every beast that is not reachable...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:26:26 pm by Bartleby »

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:33 am »

Try to have the your animal-stockpile lockable. Lock the stockpile then assign all deer to the pit. Your dwarves will not be able to do those in the stockpile. After they are done with the other deer, you can free the pit again before unlocking the stockpile.

erm  i tried that myself  but it does not work very well. The process stops on every beast that is not reachable...

I will still lock the animal stockpile as you suggested.
Then I'll try to pit them one at a time instead of all of them at once.
If the first doesn't work, I will reassign the second on my list and continue.

Thanks for the Replies.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:09 am »

I tried to pit some wild animals but my dwarves killed every single one of the 5 i tried before they had time to toss them into the pit....  I think it was the fact that all 10 of my population had trained 2 war dogs each so everyone had war dog buddies there to exterminate the critters as soon as they were pulled from the cages...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

Humm--- seems you should put your breeding/restrained pair into your holder for them via cages, link the cages to a lever, and toss the lever, setting them free. If you want to block them while still allowing access, you could install doors and hook them up to levers. Doors open/close instantly, no delay, so they'd work better for containing animals.

You could also try this: Install all your deer cages. Now mark all but the cage you want to open forbidden. See if your list of pitable animals is just the deer you want.

If not, you'll have to make the other deer cages unreachable. You can REALLY do this by just building a drawbridge across your animal stockpile access corridor, hook it up to a nearby lever, and toss the lever. That might get the list properly reduced to just available animals from your pit selection.

Or you can just count down the list of animals until you reach the one you want. It works when I'm picking stray cats out of my cat cage to set free to hunt sculking goblin thieves, I mean, "vermin"...

That is, I look through the animals to find which ones I want to breed. Since you cannot expand/zoom into the creature when caging/uncaging/pitting, you just count down to that same animal in the list.

If you could give a deer a nickname, that would do the trick, but I don't now if you can nickname a basic creature that hasn't become notable.

Good luck!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!