Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125646 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The mercenaries - Important announcements (now recruiting).
« Reply #2235 on: June 06, 2013, 05:59:57 am »

WBL according to the DMG is 200k for a 15th level char[/ramdom drive-by post]
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 06, 2013, 12:07:00 pm »

Just gonna point out a couple things:

+6 armor isn't possible, I don't think. You can have up to +10 total bonus, but only +5 enhancement before epic levels. It costs 36,000 gp plus the base cost of the armor.

Screaming isn't an item improvement that I've heard of. You might be thinking of the Thundering enhancement, which is +1 effective enhancement level for +1d8 sonic damage. Bane targets one creature type. Outsider would work, not sure if there are any effects that count as Evil Bane.

A +4 Thundering (+1) Dwarven Waraxe of Outsider Bane (+1) is a +6 item, or 72,000gp plus the cost of the cold iron and masterwork weapon.

It seems a little pedantic, but several of your custom items would have increased cost due to their weird domain assignments. The ring of resistance should be a cloak of resistance +5 (25,000gp), the cloak of natural armor should be a shirt of natural armor, the shirt of strength should be bracers or a belt of strength.

There is also the problem of wielding a two handed axe while wielding a shield. I might recommend getting the Animated Shield enchantment, but you're looking a little heavy on the magic items already. You easily have 300,000gp there. I might be out of touch with WBL, though. (I haven't bought new items in quite a while despite theoretically having loads of dough.)

Unless there were some feat requirement modifications, weapon specialization requires four levels of fighter. Greater weapon specialization requires twelve. I would recommend backing off on the weapon focus (since they're not super anyway) and taking some feats that give you more to do in battle. Examples:

Dreadful Wrath from PGtF gives you frightful presence. (Or you can just take Frightful Presence from Draconomicon.)

Fearless Destiny from Races of Destiny isn't super, but it lets you stabilize at -9 automatically once per day instead of dying. (At which point I can fix you.)

Mage Slayer prevents enemy wizards from casting defensively near you. Smacking a wizard instead of eating a Disintegrate is a good trade for a feat. Pierce Magical Protection/Concealment are fun feats in the chain that can tear apart some abjuration defenses.

You could only put this in your 15th level slot, but Defensive Sweep is fantastic against melee foes. With your Bulwark of Defense ability, they have two options. Stick around and eat a free attack at the end of their turn, or try to move away (without being able to 5fs) and eat a free attack. It's just a free attack against adjacent foes! Fantastic.

You might also want to look into reach weapons, if you're not set on the waraxe. Bulwark of Defense is by far the best ability of the Knight, and extending your threatened area extends the effect of that ability. You have a 15' threat radius? Everything within 15' is difficult terrain for the enemy. They can't charge, they can't five foot step, and they can't move very quickly either. Portable, constant terrain control is great.

All right!

Turns out I suck at making high level chars.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:04 pm »

Beyond the problems Barb mentioned:

Dwarven waraxes do not exist in this world.
Evil outsiders aren't common enough foes to put too much effort into specializing in. (Technically, gilhausen and Dread Beasts such as Leviathan are native to the Material plane.) Evil Outsider Bane on your weapon may not be useful enough to justify the price.

The PRC is fine, but NOTHING else in that book may be used. The ventral planes (and dorsal ones, for that matter) work quite a bit differently in my world than in standard DnD.

We will need to discuss your backstory. Did Barb explain anything of the culture of the three human nations?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 06, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

Ugh, no.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 06, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

The three (well, technically four, but the fourth is a loose coalition of city states with no unified culture, mostly aping one of the Empires to one degree or another) nations, all Empires are fragments of a single Empire that broke up in a succession war (each of the three claimants took a Grand Duchy and called it an Empire) about 8000 years ago. The Aprilian Empire is heavily elven-influenced, with very general tolerance of cannibalism, and rather inclusive sexual mores. Beyond that, they're largely Roman, with a dash of ancient Israel for good measure. Even the commoners are generally polygamous, and the society as a whole is hyper-individualist (to the point where murder is only a crime if the victim was unarmed or under the age of 14). While slavery is outlawed, the concept of "judicial slavery" exists, where a person may be sentenced to enslavement instead of a prison sentence (in this case, limited to the term of their sentence) or execution. In the former case, strict laws regulate treatment, as their enslavement is more of a lease than a possession. In the latter, no such laws exist, although social convention does keep the relative handful of owners in check. They are technologically advanced, and their magic is both widespread and highly developed.

The Markavian Empire, which controls the major mineral wealth of the continent, is much more ordered. Polygamy is extremely rare outside of the nobility, magic requires a licence, which comes with strict usage limits (casting without a license or outside of the limits of your  license is a capital crime), and public possession of weapons beyond a sword, bow or knife requires a mercenary's or soldier's license. Recently, (as in somewhere in the last six months), the Empire has ceased to issue mercenary licenses, and no longer employs them, though existing licenses remain valid outside of the capital, and it is still legal to hire them for private reasons. (For various arcane reasons, it's illegal to kill a rival directly but legal to employ mercenaries to kill him and his family, raze his estates, and salt the earth so nothing will ever grow there again.) Slavery is outright illegal here, though there is a strong black market for slaves, which are generally horribly treated. The source of these is unknown, and most slaves are foreign peasants. They are the least advanced both technologically and magically, although they do have an edge in metalworking and mining.

The final Empire, Cinnabar, is aesthetically a mixture of Elizabethan England and Spain of the same era. The nation exists in a state of barely organized anarchy, with the Emperor a puppet of scheming nobles, the laws indifferently enforced, and vice beyond measure being made available by the vast trade network. Despite (or perhaps because of) this, they are immensely wealthy. Their large, well disciplined navy guards a global trade network, and anything can be bought in their markets, if you're bold enough to seek it. They are also quite advanced in many ways, largely due to their access to bits of lore from various islanders that they can put together in new ways. However, they are often quite slow to implement changes. It is believed that they were the originators of gunpowder and cannon, but the Aprilian fleet was entirely cannon armed 20 years before the Royal Cinnabar Navy managed the same feat. They are above-average in magic, and lead (admittedly almost by default) in the black arts of Demonogly and Necromancy.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: June 06, 2013, 06:46:42 pm »

Turns out I suck at making high level chars.
Nah, but few people have practice making level 15 characters. Everyone makes mistakes one the first draft when there's so much to consider. (Especially when you're new to a campaign.) I also forgot to give you background information, which is my bad. It's a fun world, just a little complicated. You're actually pretty close already.

If you're set on an axe, I'd recommend the Poleaxe from Complete Adventurer/Warrior. You'll need the EWP feat for it, but it shares a focus with Halberd. 2d6 damage, 20/x3 crit, piercing or slashing damage, and reach 10'. Oh yeah, and double damage against charging foes when readied. The Dwarven Warpike is practically the same thing but shares no weapon focus. (And has +2 to trip attempts.) It's from Races of Stone. Then again, it's probably not allowed for the same reason. (Not a whole lot of dwarves around.)

If you or Azthor need help with anything, I'm willing to walk you through just about anything you'll run into. I've been at this for a while now.  :D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:59 am »

7 Hours or so.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

Yuh, I'll try to be here tonight but stuff has come up. Even if I do, sheet may not be fixed.

So, no big loss anyway, right? lol

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 09, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »

I dunno, it'd be awesome if you were to show up. Game in 30 minutes, right?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 09, 2013, 06:33:37 pm »

No, start time was half an hour ago, though nobody showed up yet.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 09, 2013, 06:38:21 pm »

Did the IP change, then? I can't seem to connect.

EDIT: I found it on the list, but can't connect.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 09, 2013, 06:50:22 pm »

Try it now. I really need to disconnect that network relay.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 09, 2013, 06:53:25 pm »

Has anyone connected yet? I can't seem to...

That contact information is old. Find Bay12 in the list.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 09, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »

I'm in!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »

Right, I am in now.
 And find the Bay12 server by name, the stuff with entering in the I.P. address manually is outdated.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 160