Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125735 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The mercenaries - Notice Given
« Reply #1575 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:43 am »

With inflation, how much do Wings of Flying cost? (Instead of 54k gold pieces.)

FLYING MEDIC GO.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 30, 2011, 03:10:29 am »

Quote from: From the journal of Derrek the Actuator
This morning, we tracked the origin of the undead which attacked us in the logging camp.  The trail eventually led us to a field with tall, tall grass and ruins of a tower in the middle.  The field was littered with the remains of an ancient battle.

My companions found a black cloth that was simply oozing with necromantic magics, and which I believe to be one of the seven banners given by a powerful necromantic god and follower of Miranda to his seven most loyal followers for use in her campaign to conquer the materiel plane and outer heavens.    I ended up carrying the blasted thing in my satchel, and it has weakened me horribly by its mere presence.

We also encountered a Vagrant with a most unusual speech characteristic, though we were unable to glean any useful information from him.

At this point, we were out of leads, and so returned to town.

On returning to town, we encountered a black cloaked follower of Takhisis- or rather, a former follower, as he was weeping where he sat, and, on questioning, informed us that his former patron had been destroyed.

We found a temple of Reorx that was open, and asked them about the banner.  It seems the battle field we found it on may be more recent than I thought.  The cleric also told us of a prophesy of the Banner being raised when the sixth god dies, signaling the last day.  Takhisis would be the first god to die.  Ancient artifacts are not what they used to be; the spear that Naren had Given to Gurk turns out to be another great artifact.  The black banner crumbled to dust when Gurk touched the spear to it.

This morning, we decided that our next course of action should be to rally the dragons to our cause.  To that end, we sought out information on Dragon sightings.  The Copperbottom clan was attacked twice by blue dragons, so we paid them a visit to inquire who was sending the dragons after them in hopes of doing them a favor by stopping the dragons, and stopping the dragons by recruiting them to our cause.

Sadly, it turns out that the Copperbottom clan has managed to deal with the blue dragons on their own.  However, it seems they employ dragons of their own.  Naren was able to negotiate the Copperbottoms and their dragons joining our cause in exchange for 400 gold drakes and two favors, one performed now, and one after the war with Miranda is over.

As I had guessed, the first favor is to be the removal of the head and sole heir to a rival house.  Nobles, so predictable.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:46 am »

Quote from: From the Desk of Naren Obosa, Whatever He Is at the Moment
A rather eventful, curious, and somewhat foreboding series of events took place today, after we departed from the logging camp in an attempt to track the source of the undead reptilian monsters.

Instead, we ended up in the center of an old battlefield, the skeletons and armament of those long dead hidden beneath the tall grass.  My eyes, though were curiously drawn to a small scrap of cloth, drifting in the breeze.  Blacker than midnight it seemed as I moved closer, just before reaching out to pick it up and examine it closer.  However, necromantic energy shot through my body as I tried, forcing me to drop it and allow Darrek to carry it back with his magic.

We then met a strange man who seemed to have a fondness for crappy rhyming beats.  Note to self: Burn him with the sick fires of your talent at a later date, should you meet him again.

With little more than this scrap of cloth and the annoying voice of the nutcase in our heads, we returned to town, only to find another man claiming the goddess Takhasis, the Dragonqueen, She of Many Colors and None, had been killed!  A dark fear awoke in me then, a suspicion that the lady Miranda- or her most powerful servants- had returned to the world.  If such is truly the case, then I know I am now acting on it, preparing to collect all I can before all is lost.

A visit to the temple of Reorx supported such suspicions, as a transmuted cleric explained to us the prophecy related to the black banners- of which our scrap may well have been part- and its relation to the death of the gods and the end of days.  Realizing this, I had Gurk touch the artifact spear of Odin to the cloth, and- as suspected- the cloth was destroyed.

Now, of course, we seek dragons to help us in our journey.  For multiple things, really.  Primarily to help us get to the area where another banner is believed lost, and collect other artifacts and the future, as well as to help us in the battles to come.  Personal interests are only a slight factor.  In any case, rumors lead us to the Copperbottom clan- stereotypical amoral noblemen, who care only about their own power- who claimed they had been struck by dragons.

Frustratingly, it seemed that they had already solved this problem.  However, upon discovering that they had their own dragons, I leapt into negotiations.  Eventually, I managed to convince them to give us their dragons for our needs, in exchange for 400 drakes and two favors, one to be preformed now and the other after the end of the war.

He wants me to kill a noble.  I agreed to deal with her.

And deal with her I shall, though not, I think, in the way he suspects or wants.  Exact wording is a funny thing, isn't it?

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »

Ah, that reminds me.  Will we be having a game tomorrow?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »

It's quite possible, but I can't be certain until tomorrow for the usual reasons.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »

Sorry, but I have to go to the DMV early tomorrow morning.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 07, 2011, 02:46:37 am »

Should note that I won't be here for this week's game if you were even planning on having one.  Family's heading up to the state fair.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »

well, we can take care of some stuff here even if we don't play-

If we have some time in game between getting this last mission and actaully going to take care of thise guy's rival, I want to spend some of my journal XP on casting permanency on some personal spells.

--edit--

specifically, wanna permanency Arcane Sight on myself

Though, I'd rather like to be able to supress it at will since you are house ruling that overpowering auras stun a caster that detects them.
(atleast, I can't find any rule that states that a caster is stunned or the detecting spell is broken by powerful auras)

In any case, I don't want to have this end up stun-locking me every time we run in to a significantly powerful enemy.

Aside, I am looking to see how whats his name steals half out payment this mission, since our payment is access to Copperbottom's dragons.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:54:38 pm by Reese »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »

That'll work, I'll give a week for downtime. Both journals get xp.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 08, 2011, 07:12:33 pm »

There's SORT OF a rule for that in Detect Evil: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm

Anyway, pretty sure Angokor only takes money from us.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »

I know, but I still think it would be funny if he tried. ^_^

and, yeah, it messes up opposite alignment detectors with detect alignment; I just don't want to put a useful permanent effect on myself if it's going to cause me to be stun locked a during any climactic battles we might engage in.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 09, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »

Have you considered just using Detect Magic instead? That requires a deliberate effort, so even if you wander into something dangerous, you can simply not use it.

Also, I can and will use dispel magic and disjunction if it makes sense for the enemy to, just like I have used Sunder in the past. If you're going to use Permanancy, I wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 12, 2011, 02:48:34 pm »

so, how's today looking for gaming?

The problem with detect magic is that it takes a lot of concentration to get anything worth while out of it, and does not provide as much information, so is not particularly useful in combat.

I haven't made the changes to my character sheet yet, so I think I will just think about it for now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 12, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »

Not tonight.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 14, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »

Heyyyy guys. Remember me? I've recently re-acquired an internet enabled computer. I can finally play with you guys again.

Would you let me? I honestly wouldn't mind using a new character.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 160