Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125984 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Not on Hiatus
« Reply #1095 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »

What happened was that you got battered a bit, then hit with a Power Word Kill. A rouge's one weakness, it seems.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 04, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

A rouge's one weakness, it seems.

Rogues have one greater weakness: bad spelling. There's seriously a TvTropes page named after the rogues' sensitivity to bad spelling.

But yeah, fort saves are rogues' inherent weak spot, and even a belt of +6 con doesn't help a helluva lot. What was the DC on the save he failed?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:03 pm »

PWK has a HP limit of 100 instead of a save. You were just a hair under it.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:06 am »

Excuse me for attempting to use logic. Mirror image creates false images that exactly replicate your own image. In this case, the image includes the light portion of the spell effect 'Nimbus of Light'. To me, sunlight looks like sunlight because it is sunlight. Therefore the mirror images also exudes sunlight in the form of photons that would then (presumably) eat through the vampire. The spell (and all the rules in the core books I could access) never said anything about using fake sunlight.

But it's okay, now we get to fight him again. If you want to say that I haven't been cheated, that's fine. I feel cheated anyway.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 05, 2011, 12:58:46 am »

That looks OK to me, but I'm going ot wait to OK it until RAM looks over it. I believe familiars die with the wizard.
Elemental Savant looks okay to me, it feels a touch on the powerful side but I cannot think off hand of any [Element] spells that would break an encounter with a single casting, if it included the likes of fear, disintegrate, or finger of death then I might be a bit more apprehensive...
Spoiler: Some concerns: (click to show/hide)
I would allow it with a warning that I may remove one or two of the elemental focus levels, declare some [elemental] spells to not receive the bonuses, and/or limit the abilities of the elemental form a bit if they cause obvious problems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suspect that, realistically, a familiar would revert to a normal animal with the magical beast type, +1 natural armour, and 6 intelligence. But from a rules perspective it is probably best to just leave its stats as they are until the master comes back. It will probably attempt to get its master returned to life and otherwise have no real connection to the party.

A first level spell automatically killing a monster is not going to happen, the effects that work on vampires specifically say so, check out Sunbeam and Sunburst. You are the victim of a appallingly worded spell rather than a malicious DM. Consider the spell appropriately modified due to being overpowered.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 05, 2011, 02:32:46 am »

Mirror Image could also do to be better worded, as the intent is for the images to stay with the caster and provide immediate decoys against enemy attacks.

particularly this bit: "These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you."
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:34 am »

Mirror Image could also do to be better worded, as the intent is for the images to stay with the caster and provide immediate decoys against enemy attacks.

particularly this bit: "These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you."
Sure, it might have been intended that way, but the wording is meant to allow people to be creative. That's what utility spells are for.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 05, 2011, 10:45:28 am »

Sure, it might have been intended that way, but the wording is meant to allow people to be creative. That's what utility spells are for.

Really? I thought low-level utility spells were for using against CR 20 monsters so you can LOL1SHOT them. </sarcasm>
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:52 pm »

Now, I know this is kinda offtopic, but will modern ever happen?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 05, 2011, 01:27:22 pm »

The trial game had only you and herald interested, so it's a bit unlikely. This game will switch to modern once this campaign is finished.

Barbarossa:

Spells are not open-ended. Logic is good to a point, but you can't twist the wording of the spell beyond all recognition to use a level 1 spell to vaporize high level monsters. No DM in the history of the world would have allowed it.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »

Maybe you should try to revive the topic, and see if more people get intrested?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »

Spoiler: Some concerns: (click to show/hide)
I would allow it with a warning that I may remove one or two of the elemental focus levels, declare some [elemental] spells to not receive the bonuses, and/or limit the abilities of the elemental form a bit if they cause obvious problems.

If I can spend skill points leveling up from 9 to 10 as if it was my first time than i can settle the skill problem.  The summon-spell issue is harder as I assume I only get free spells the first time, I think I read about "holding off leveling so you could spend the skill points on item-creation feats" in the PH before so if I do that and then learn a summon spell from aryana THEN get some xp to go up I should be able to get ES for eleven.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suspect that, realistically, a familiar would revert to a normal animal with the magical beast type, +1 natural armour, and 6 intelligence. But from a rules perspective it is probably best to just leave its stats as they are until the master comes back. It will probably attempt to get its master returned to life and otherwise have no real connection to the party.

Can we just say it died?  After all it did need to survive TWO ficus-death effects and the prismatic ray so its chances are very low, and I am trying to lose xp so that's not a problem.

As to the modern, I'm fine with joining but I know even less about that than I do about dnd so I would need help

EDIT: My first ninja :D

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 05, 2011, 04:09:49 pm »

Sure. I was trying to find an excuse to keep it alive, to not be a dick.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »

Barbarossa:

Spells are not open-ended. Logic is good to a point, but you can't twist the wording of the spell beyond all recognition to use a level 1 spell to vaporize high level monsters. No DM in the history of the world would have allowed it.
I didn't see any twisting about using sunlight as sunlight. If one of the players in my IRL game thinks of a clever way to use a spell, I usually allow it. For example, one of them spread a sheet of water summoned via 'create water' out in the air, and let it drop in order to find any invisible creatures that the water would have to go around. But I digress. I guess I'll just have to find him and beat him to death again.

EDIT: I might miss the Friday game, I have somewhere I need to be.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:46:47 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 06, 2011, 02:48:26 pm »

level 10 zook
I took the liberty of assuming my familiar died at level 10 and I lost 2000 xp.

In the week(?) following the escape can aryana teach me that one summon?  I dont know the level so it is not on the list.

also, game tonight?  I wont be able to make it on sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 160