Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125828 times)

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - On hiatus.
« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2010, 06:23:15 am »

Please keep in mind that "ancient" has two meanings in this context.
That just confuses me, why would the immortal Archon tell Gurk something was ancient when it wasn't. It's immortal so it's not going to call a 150 year old adult dragon "ancient" when that is a paltry time to be alive in comparison to it's great lifespan. If anything it means that it's a 4000 year old great wyrm dracolich with an army of undead kobolds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »

I fixed my post. On the topic of fighting a red dragon, I think that we'd need a lot of information about it before we fought it. If it casts spells as a 15th level sorcerer for example, we'd stand no chance.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 12, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »

Unless we can figure out a way to make it fail a DC 14 fort save and then use drow poison on it?
Or we bring an antimagic field along with us and... yeah I dunno how to beat a dragon without even magical weaponry, seven of Cerrad would probably still die. Ancient-category dragons have a lot of hit dice.
Perhaps we could look up something on how to find a temple full of initiators in the Tome of Battle, and hire a bazillion swordsages, warblades, and crusaders?
Or, if it lives in a cave, we could light a whole bunch of fires (mundane and magical, for thoroughness' sake) and seal the entrance, and wait for the dragon to suffocate?
Or we could find some way to make the river flow into the cave and wait for it to drown, drain the water and then loot it's stuff? Dragons primarily like shiny things, especially gold, which doesn't rust... but then again it's probably got a high enough con score to just swim out and then light the countryside on fire.

Just playing devil's advocate here, don't take any of these suggestions too seriously, my actual recommendation is to leave the thing be and make money by doing what we're already doing.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 12, 2010, 01:07:27 pm »

I could find a way to hire Sinistar. Not only can he fly with angel wings, he can become almost immune to magic and stab it to death with an awl pike. To bad that's not going to ever be possible.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 12, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »

The obvious solution here is to get another dragon to fight it, a silver one preferably. We'd probably have to share our loot though.

It doesn't really matter because Shonus just put us on a plot hook and we still have business anyway. I don't think we'd be prepared for a dragon of that magnitude at less than level 16 anyway.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 12, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »

Given that it's a dragon with very strong SR, it seems to me the best course of action is to have the spell casters standing by with readied counterspell actions and environmental spells that are not subject to SR (like, heh, conjuration and transmutation- summoned creatures to distract and fight and walls to prevent the dragon from fleeing, weapon and character enhancements)

Then equip everyone with things that allow them to resist fire to mitigate some of the damage from the breath weapon and icy or icy burst weapons to take advantage of the red dragon's vulnerability.

or, ya know, have all the casters take instant death spells and hope they get lucky on the SR checks and that the dragon gets very unlucky on the fort saves...
plus you'd have to kill it most of the way for power word kill to work... maybe if someone can manage to push it through a prismatic wall?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:17 pm »

maybe if someone can manage to push it through a prismatic wall?
Too bad SR applies to that spell, or else it would be the most awesome way to kill a dragon ever.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:27 pm »

Let's think out of the box, what if we teleported explosive runes inside the dragon's brain. It would probably still have positive hitpoints, but hey, no brain.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2010, 03:29:34 pm »

How would it read them? Why not just go for a barrage of magic missiles from one of those rods that let you use 4 wands at once? With enough of those stacked onto each other, you'd expend every charge at once, but you could take out hundreds of hitpoints at a time with it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 12, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

True, SR applies, but it applies individually to each layer >:3

six out of the seven layers are capable of affecting a red dragon (fire damage, acid damage, electricity damage, death, stoned, insanity, planeshifted)

That means six chances to make a caster level check every time the dragon moves or is moved through the wall, including each time it tries to attack through the wall with its natural weapons.  All we need is, say, the insanity effect and one damaging effect beat it's SR- 40% chance the dragon will attack the caster (who will be on the opposite side of the wall) or closest target (10% caster and 30% closest target) 30% chance to do nothing but babble incoherently, 20% chance to run away from the caster, and 10% chance it will actually act like a dragon... if the closest target or spell caster is always opposite the wall from the dragon, it will make attacks through the wall and be affected by the layers it failed it's SR on.

with an SR of 28, my wizard's caster level is a minimum of 15 to cast the spell, and the spell penetration feat; that's a +17 to the roll to break SR, requiring a roll of 11 to succeed, which is 50/50 odds of any given effect penetrating the dragon's SR.  Three of the effects instantly neutralize the dragon if he also fails his save (which is the difficult part), one of them reduces his combat effectiveness (again, if he also fails the save), and two of them deal damage directly.

The death effect is the best bet, though, because it does con damage even on a successful save, which lowers his fort save and HP and makes it more likely to cause instant death on subsequent attempts

--edit--

also, Polymorph any Object or Temporal Stasis, I should be able to cast them with a DC30 at that point (of course, the dragon would only fail the fort save on a 1... msot transmutation powers save against fortitude...)

an elder elemental would be a good sommon for summon monster 9- earth would have the mass and strength to bullrush a dragon in to a prismatic wall, a fire elemental would have the HP to last though the natural weapons, half it's own natural attacks are bludgeoning damage, and it would be immune to the breath weapon

the sorcerer can get polar ray as an 8th level spell, and have a minimum of +16 to the caster level check against SR, adn a minimum of 16d6 damage on a successful ranged touch attack, doubled for the dragon's weakness to cold damage...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:13:35 pm by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 12, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »

We were level 10 at the time, Which would make a 51-100 year young adult an appropriate encounter and a 101-200 year adult could be appropriate by the time we got there at CR 15. I guess it depends upon your definition of ancient...
I wouldn't really be comfortable calling something ancient unless it was 1000 years old, or 1 year old in the case of reality television... I could see 100 years as being considered ancient, although in DnD a human can live to 110 while most other races can make at least 200. Or we can just assume that it will be balanced for the party if we ever find it, and just stock up on fire resistance and flight aids...
To be ancient for a dragon it would need to be at least old, Which would make it CR 20.

Can't even trust divine intervention these days...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »

Sure you can, you just need to be a cleric.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:13 am »

We were level 10 at the time, Which would make a 51-100 year young adult an appropriate encounter and a 101-200 year adult could be appropriate by the time we got there at CR 15. I guess it depends upon your definition of ancient...
I wouldn't really be comfortable calling something ancient unless it was 1000 years old, or 1 year old in the case of reality television... I could see 100 years as being considered ancient, although in DnD a human can live to 110 while most other races can make at least 200. Or we can just assume that it will be balanced for the party if we ever find it, and just stock up on fire resistance and flight aids...
To be ancient for a dragon it would need to be at least old, Which would make it CR 20.

Why, oh why are you assuming that the Dragon was even remotely possible for you to fight at the time? Basically, I was warning you that ancient may mean the age category, or it might mean "1,000,000,000 years old."

Anyhoo, I'm going to tenatively schedule a session for this upcoming Sunday. Don't be too surprised if I cancel, but I think I can try it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03:43 am »

Actually, if you can schedule it for Saturday instead of Sunday, I could play.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »

I can't do Saturdays... Not for a month or two, anyway.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 160