Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125918 times)

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Hiatus until Dec. 3
« Reply #840 on: November 25, 2010, 11:49:00 am »

Dragonlance? now thats a set of books I havent read in a while. Oh well. Pelor has what I need, I just never gave him the time of day to see his domains. Which was stupid. oh well.

would it be a problem if the cleric was lvl 11? there is a 6th level spell that would greatly help the party that i cant gain access to till 11.

I will have a char genned by tomorrow for the cleric and fighter, Yall can decide on what I will use. If you dont like either, I have plenty of other ideas.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:06:29 pm by deathxherald »
Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 25, 2010, 02:33:23 pm »

yea I know, but whats cooler than a cleric that can step into battle, smash a shield into the ground for a buddy's cover, and then proceed to wade into the fight casting healing spells and still dodging everything coming at him?

Spoiler: I love fighters. (click to show/hide)

As far as making a cleric goes, I'll tell you about our current one. Our main healer is myself, Eafoth, a level 8 Cleric, level 1 Radiant Servant of Pelor. He/She/It has the Strength and Sun domains, but due to being a good-aligned cleric, can substitute any spell for a healing spell. (Strength is for buffing, Light is for slaying evil things and it fits with the character.) It'd be nice to have a front-lines-capable cleric, though, because currently Eafoth has the lowest HP of any member of the party including the wizards. If we were to have a battle cleric, Eafoth could focus more on being artillery or healing the folks behind the front lines that are hit by stray arrows and such. Another interesting fact: nobody has ever seen Eafoth. He/She/It always wears a full-body robe with nary an eye hole. However, Eafoth has some pretty powerful blindsense, so he/she/it is still fairly effective in combat. (though ranged attacks are his/her/its worst enemy.) Why did I make my character blind? For the sheer irony of worshiping a Sun God.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 25, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »

a battle cleric, eh? hmm... Currently the one im making is able to step into the fray without a second thought and take a few hits... (60hp, lvl 10). I have full plate on him with a heavy steel shield and so far his ac is at 22, with his dex mod. I was gonna give him healing and strength as his domains as well since he was gonna be able to step up to fight. Currently im looking at giving him a magical morningstar, depending on how much it costs. Or if the party has one I might look at? Keep me up to date on whats where.

Scratch that, I just put magic armor and shield on him. now his ac is... 25? Havent totaled it yet.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 03:53:46 pm by deathxherald »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 25, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »

22 AC isn't a whole heck of a lot, at this level. My cleric is still pretty squishy with 26 AC, so you might want to add some magic items. At level ten, Wealth/Level says you have 49,000 GP to spend, though you'll want Shonus to confirm that.

For AC purposes, I'd recommend a Monk's Belt, as it gives you more AC based on your wisdom. I'm not sure if you lose it when you wear heavy armor, so watch out for that. Deflection and Natural Armor bonuses to AC are always handy, so maybe get a ring or amulet of those.

Personally, I dual wield light maces. One is a Light Mace of Brilliant Energy, and the other is a Wounding Light Mace of Construct Bane. However, I haven't used them much at all. If you want, we can set up something where you could have those maces if you trade me something else, but we'd have to figure that out in-character whenever you join during a session. I'll PM you some details.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »

Ive spent a total of 38 grand so far, so im looking at grabbing some rings or protection or something like that, since ive totaled out at 24ac with my current set up. my weapon is a shocking burst morningstar, which is going to be quite useful, from what ive seen.
I just added a set of bracers of armor +3 to my guy, totaling to 41388gp spent from the figured 49000 I get, bringing my ac to 27. i wonder if i get any more money... cause i can get a decent ring from what i saw that would boost my ac even more.
Then i added a set of Gloves of Dexterity, boosting my dex by 2 and giving me another point in ac, totaling out to a 28ac. sound decent enough? oh, to top that off, i still havent decided his feats.  ::) go me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:18:47 pm by deathxherald »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 25, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »

That's pretty good indeed. Remember, though, that you can't have two bonuses of the same type, so keep it SIMPLE, NARDD.

(Sacred, Insight, Morale, Profane, Luck, and Enhancement / Natural Armor, Resistance , Deflection, and Dodge bonuses.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 25, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »

That's pretty good indeed. Remember, though, that you can't have two bonuses of the same type, so keep it SIMPLE, NARDD.
DONT CALL ME A NARD. IM A GEEK, DANGIT. GET IT RIGHT. >.>
and yes i know. i dont have any repeating bonuses, as far as anything goes. just some fun armor.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 25, 2010, 04:29:17 pm »

Though do remember that a natural armor rating does stack with a natural armor bonus (it's just most player races don't have a natural armor rating... it can come up, though, with abilities that allow one to shape shift)

--edit--

and I'm not trying to fail my first saving throw of every combat, honest!  :P
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 25, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »

ERGH, Im done creating this guy for today. Hes got everything but his spell list set up. and maybe one or two things here and there I forget since its been 3 months since I last genned a char. Oh, btw, yall are gonna love his feats. hahaha. he truely is a "front line cleric" and you will think this when you see them, or you could end up laughing histerically. I did.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:14:53 pm by deathxherald »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 25, 2010, 05:06:58 pm »

Okey dokey. Tell me if you want either of my maces.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 25, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »

Bracers of armor grant an armor bonus, which does not stack with actual armor... I don't think it even grants any bonuses against touch attacks.

(also, shouldn't your ranged attack bonus be +10, not +9? unless there's something you have that reduces your ranged attack bonus that I don't see)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:53 pm »

I am guessing that you are human, and level 10. Also, I very much doubt that glamered will do anything for you other than change your appearance...
AC 10base+8armour+1dexterity+2shield+1shield_enhancment+1(or3)armour_enhancment=23(25)AC Expertise could take it up to 28 and dodge could make it a 29 against one opponent with a 32 against movement, but you need to use attack actions to use expertise.

I am not sure that I would bother with burst on a morningstar, as the morningstar is kind of sad at criticals. You would probably be better off getting an additional damage type or improving your defences. Also note that weapons need to be at least +1 before getting any othe magic effects applied to them.

Upgrading your armour to mithral might be a good idea, that would give you a +3 maximum dexterity bonus to AC, and while complicated, getting lots of little AC boosters can go a long way. Also remember your spells, Shield of Faith can get you a +3 deflection bonus, but its duration mean you need to know about an encounter before using it, but magic vestment on the other hand could get you a +2 enhancement bonus to your armour and shield armour bonuses and lasts for hours.

I would consider working on saving throws, we are starting to deal with instant death effects and you don't look to have the HP to withstand a disintegrate. +9 is a decent fort save, but effects with DCs over 20 are not that uncommon... There is an item, I think from one of the complete spellcaster books, called a Vest of Resistance, which is the same as a cloak of resistance but uses the vest slot, if you can get the DM to agree to it then the vest is an often forgotten slot...

So, ummm, let see...

02500 ring
05500 armour
05580 shield
09000 bracers
04000 gloves
18308 weapon

I would suggest trading in the bracers for a dusty rose prism Ioun stone and either a +2 cloak of resistance or a +2 amulet of wisdom.

Also, I believe that we have some access to traits and flaws, check out their entries in the SRD. Ah, here is the ruling:
No to the complete champion stuff. Traits are fine, except for honest/dishonest. No to flaws.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 25, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »

Yea alot of this stuff was just off the top of my head gennin, so i figured i wouldnt be right with at least 20% of it. I went with a morningstar because any character I have made with them somehow manages to be able to roll natural 20s left and right. dont ask me how, but it happens alot, and no i dont mod the rolls in any way.
I may not go with this guy again cause i dont like playing casters, i like being the guy who takes one heavy swing and chops somethings head off with a double orc axe or rips its legs out from under it and proceeds to pincushion it with a spike chain. if anyone else has any suggestions on him, message me with them so i can see about incorperating them into him. and the glammor on the armor was for part of his story, since you were probably all wondering about that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »

You mentioned a grappling character before, how do you think that grappling rules work? I am looking for a second opinion...

I am mostly interested in the effects of multiple attacks from a high base attack bonus and natural weapons.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 25, 2010, 10:35:21 pm »

grappling rules are simple to me, and defined quite well by the players handbook.
If I remember correctly, natural weapons give the ability to initate a grapple without an aoo, but dont quote me on that, since i dont have my books up infront of me right now. There is a feat that allows for a free grapple attempt when you land a strike with a light melee weapon called skorpions grasp, i believe its in complete warrior or sword and fist.
but as far as the rules go, basically you use your standard action to initiate a grapple check with the creature, normally an opposed strength check moddifed by your grapple mod (generally your strength mod unless you have feats or magic to boost it) and the creature gains an attack of opportunity (aoo) against you. if the attack succeeds it adds to the grapple DC or could stop you from grappling altogether. hold on im getting my books open... i have to check this stuff.(5 min pause)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this is the books exact words on grappling and what happens during it. It may be of some help to you, but you probably already know this. My opinion is basically once you get them in a grapple, if you can hold the grapple and you have a weapon you can attack with (unarmed, natural, or light), you do so with a -4 pen, but i believe there is a feat to reduce that pen or even remove it. my idea was to have a spike full plate fighter that way when he grapples the armor itself deals damage without even rolling attack, since ive got them held onto the spikes constantly, but im not sure that works by the DnD rules, thats something the DM would have to rule on.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 160