Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125715 times)

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries - Always hiring new players
« Reply #405 on: September 02, 2010, 12:08:11 am »

A large sized cleric with war domain that gets their free weapon focus to overcome most of the way.
An ogre cleric of Grummsh could wield two large sized spears in each hand for 3d6 damage each at only a -1 for attacking twice. factoring in the strength modifier would make it pretty good for damage dealing. And then I guess you could enchant the spears or something.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 02, 2010, 12:36:17 am »

Melee combat is just way more fun that pointing and clicking, so to speak.

HOLD UP
HOLD EVERYTHING

You're saying that, in D&D 3.5, melee combat is less point-and-click than spellcasting? WHAT?

Let's recap: your melee combat choices are: standard attack, full attack, trip, sunder, bull rush, overrun, and total defense. Sure, you can mix up your Power Attack and Combat Expertise and Defensive fighting modifiers, but once your character is built that's all the customization you get on your attacks.

Wizards, on the other hand, should have in the mid-20's of spells prepared at any given time (at our level anyway), some of which may or may not have metamagic feats applied to them. They can also have their familiar go do stuff for them if they feel like it. And don't get me going too hard on the wizard's flexibility... if your warforged juggernaut needs to kill something that's immune to magic, he points, clicks Power Attack, and rolls a d20 and some d4's and d6's or whatever size damage dice your "overpowered" armor spikes have. Whereas the wizard can cast an illusion to make himself disappear and wait for the warforged's Antimagic to wear off and then blast him, or take away the ground from underneath him and kill him with falling damage, or cast fly and then spam disjunction and then use a quickened spell of some kind when it finally works on the antimagic field, or summon a whole bunch of land-based nasties and cast fly and tell them to kill the automata and fly away and let them tear it to bits when the antimagic only dispels the wizard's control over them, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Whew... I don't think I should read Bay12 just after watching a bunch of Zero Punctuation when I'm tired. It makes me use run-on sentences.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 02, 2010, 12:57:04 am »

I think it's just the dice shoruke.

Rolling dice is fun, the more dice you roll the more fun. It's cathartic.

While It may be easier to just have the enemy make one save that is will probably fail at to shove 10d6 (anyone can remove the fun out of playing using a lot of d6s, you have like 50 and roll them all at once, boring) quickened chain lightning damage up their ass, it just seems funner to click your boots of speed together tumble past the orc mid-charge to avoid them getting an attack of opportunity. Then roll a d20 twice for each of your attacks and a third for your haste attack adding the power attack 5 to the charge bonus and your bonus from the haste to make a considerable bonus then getting all three to hit, one with a critical, allowing your shocking burst greataxe to do an additional 1d10 damage after confirmation and a separate attack roll. rolling your 1d10 for the shocking damage and 4d12s (which are more fun to roll than d6s according to math)for the axe doing a moderate amount of damage. You end your turn feeling a sense of accomplishment for rolling all those dice even though Zorbath the Evil aligned Cleric-Wizard-Theurge could have just used a quickened finger of death at range coupled with his ghost touch spell and killed it with a Fort save.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 02, 2010, 08:10:31 am »

It's probably just that melee characters require more planning during fights. Whereas occasionally a caster has a useful spell, it's more often that they're just dealing ridiculous amounts of damage while just standing there. With a character that has to rely on its skills and stats to get around, there is more of a sense of danger to your character.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 02, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

I may be a little late to tonight's session.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 02, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »

Really? How can you be late? You bring the party with you, whenever you show up is on time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 02, 2010, 05:11:00 pm »

I mean I'm having trouble. Actually, I'm going to have to push it back until tomorrow.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 02, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »

Oh, that works.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 02, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
[strength_modifier=floor(Strength/2-5)]
[two_handed_damage_bonus=floor(Strength_modifier*1.5)]

Made this for the Eberron campaign, would need a bit of tweaking but I thought that I would post it for review...
Code: [Select]
[h:combat_expertise=Defense]
[h:temporary_attack_bonuses=user_input_Temp_Attack]
[h:temporary_damage_bonuses=user_input_Temp_Damage]
[h:attack_number=(user_input_Attack_Number_Start_at_zero)]
[h:base_attack_bonus=2-attack_number*5]
[h:ability_bonus=floor(strength/2-5)]
[h:ability_damage=floor(ability_bonus*1.5)]
[h:weapon_enchantment=1]
[h:weapon_dice="2d4"]
[h:extra_critical_dice="2d4"]
[h:crit_multiplier=2]
[h:crit_range=20]
Combat Expertise:[r:combat_expertise]<br>
Spiked chain Attack: [t:AttackRoll=1d20]+[t:bonus=base_attack_bonus+ability_bonus+weapon_enchantment+temporary_attack_bonuses-combat_expertise]=[r:AttackRoll+bonus]
[r,if(AttackRoll >=crit_range): "<br><b>Confirm Crit: </b>"][t,if(AttackRoll >=crit_range): CritRoll=1d20] [r,if(AttackRoll >=crit_range):"+"][r,if(AttackRoll>=crit_range):bonus][r,if(AttackRoll>=crit_range):"="][r,if(AttackRoll >=crit_range): (CritRoll+bonus)] <br>
For [t:damage_roll=eval(weapon_dice)]+[t:bonus=weapon_enchantment+ability_damage+temporary_damage_bonuses]=[r:damage_roll+bonus] damage if it hits.
[r,if(AttackRoll>=crit_range):"Or "][t,if(AttackRoll>=crit_range):damage_roll+eval(extra_critical_dice)+bonus*crit_multiplier][r,if(AttackRoll>=crit_range):" if the critical hit is confirmed."]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:20:42 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 02, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »

here is my character sheet, sorry its late.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: placed spell mastery spells and alchemy racial and lab bonus.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51:39 pm »

First thought:
Yay, more potions

Final thought:

Is a small sized companion a small load that I can carry with me at my 60 foot standard movement speed and aim at enemies to have them incinerated by spells?

EDIT
Answer:
 Yes. Gnomes are 40 lbs and Even with my Haversack and sword that only adds up to 47 lbs before the 50 which denies me my speed and AC bonuses.

EDIT:IF we leave most of your stuff in the Bag of Holding and don't carry that around with us then you can keep your crossbow and the bolts.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:34:39 am by Robocorn »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 03, 2010, 12:10:43 am »

Cool I'll find a way to introduce you tomorrow, if that's ok. Sorry about canceling tonight. I've had a lot going on the last few days, and I was completely exhausted.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:34 pm »

Will there be a session soon?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 03, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »

RAM: THe session is going to be in about an hour and a half.

Syvarris: You'll alos need MapTool and Hamachi. Join the #shonusDND channel on Newnet.

Also, I'd like everyone to be connected to IRC. If I have reason to PM you, it is a lot easier for me to do so in IRC.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 160