Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125621 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The mercenaries - Important announcements (now recruiting).
« Reply #2250 on: June 09, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »

Match the description to the character:
The wielder of this must be extremely determined, beyond that of an ordinary soldier or even cleric.
That is an extremly holy weapon. Only the virtuous can even touch it, and it is not enough to be simply Good to use it.
This hammer will grant a warror the strength of a thousand men, the speed of the deer, and the cunning of the owl.
<something about an arcane focus that happened to look like a sword...>

Well Gurk already has Odin's spear, so can only really claim the hammer...
The holy weapon is probably Cerrad's, on account of their devotion to the tome of battle, and the divinely overpowering stench of the cheese that it produced.
Naren cast a spell at some point, so the sword must be theirs.
Dharsus and Darrek need to use powerful psionic powers to combine into a single body to use the devotion weapon, because their names are similar.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:50 am »

Personally, I thought the devotion-related pike would be a pretty good fit for Dwarmin's Hellreaver guy. I mean, that class is all about beating up demons and being a good guy.

Odin's Spear: Pretty clearly Gurk's.
Devotion Pike: Hellreaver Guy, maybe Cerrad on the off-chance that he comes back.
Big Hammer: I don't even know. Aryana probably has hammerspace?
Magic Sword: An arcane magic user. Naren, Aryana, Darrek(?), Zook, and Azthor's potential wizardish guy might qualify.
Shiny Bow: Probably Eafoth's.

Dharsus would probably want a kama of some sort, though I don't think he's been around for a while.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:46:41 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:28 am »

Awright, here's my (hopefully) vastly improved sheet.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=583550

I also wrote a big backstory. For some reason!

And am not sure how likely it is I'll ever attend a session...lol.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:29 am »

I think that you are going to have trouble getting magical effects from gauntlets while wielding a two-handed weapon, so you are likely going to have to start battles with your weapon sheathed. Although potentially you might be able to carry it in one hand without actually wielding it, and wield it as a free action due to already holding it.
 If you actually have six ranks of speak language as a cross-class skill than you should know more languages. If you just spent six points for three ranks than it isn't an issue...
 I am not familiar with poleaxes or "of Warning" but assuming that the latter is a weapon enchantment, and the D.M. doesn't object to initiative bonuses than it seems sensible enough.

I am not familiar with Knight or Hellreaver, and I am not sure if piercing is a legitimate entry for improved critical.

Headband of charisma and shirt of health seem like nonstandard items.

All of these could be allowed with D.M. approval, so I don't see anything overtly wrong with it.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:04 am »

@Ram: Yuh, warning is a plus 1 enchantment to a weapon that gives an init bonus when the weapon that has it is wielded-mic I think. Gauntlets are always wielded, right? Great logic. :P

Well, not having it makes the bonus useless-one of the reasons one had a polearm and Combat Reflex is to hit critters if you get flatfooted.

So, whose gonna complain I can't hold the polearm over my shoulder and hold out my hand for the warning magic? lol. Everyone will complain.

Someone suggested Poleaxe back in the thread from complete adventurer.

As for Improved Crit, I guess that just applies to the wep. Minor change.
Skill points, likewise.

Nothing wrong with the items but increased prices.

And honestly, I'm not really going to bother changing much else. If you guys don't like this then I give up.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:55 pm »

Gauntlet weapon bonuses only apply when you are not otherwise armed. Of course, since the most useful time to have high initiative is when you need to get your weapon out, it's still a practical item to have. The rest is fine.

Minor nitpick:

It's at this point in most persons lives either something earth shattering happens to change their viewpoints, or they slide quietly into old age having achieved nothing of permanence. Gerik was of the latter.

"Latter" should be "Former"

Add 8 points into "Knowledge: Geography" and "Knowledge: Politics" to represent the knowledge you gained wandering the earth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 15, 2013, 01:46:07 am »

I will be working until rather late this Sunday, and I'll be working late every day until the following Saturday. So no session for me this week.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 15, 2013, 02:04:39 am »

well, given the real lack of D&D games running right now(besides Tempus Fugit), I was wondering what you guys might need right now and I'll see what character I can come up with
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 15, 2013, 03:01:03 am »

I think that out of fighter/thief/magic-user/cleric, we are most lacking in thief. But our cleric isn't going to be at the next session, so...
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 15, 2013, 06:15:34 am »

I'd prefer a thief-type char. Rolling on invisible castle now.....holy. Shit.

......ummm, yeah, I'll fucking take that thank you! Debating on whether or not to keep a no-wisdom bonus and plug in two of my stat increases in strength to increase my damage output further, or get a wisdom bonus and have bonuses in EVERYTHING. Regardless, rounding up my int score to 16.

Edit:HP Roll, rerolled 1s

Edit Edit:And Here's a Link to the sheet
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:51:20 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: June 15, 2013, 01:37:24 pm »

That seems adequate, but a bacstory is mandatory. Also, a session next week is hazy at best. It's my birthday next Saturday, and I'll be taking a few days off work as a light vacation.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 15, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »

It seems that there is about a 50/50 likelihood of me showing up, though I'll be available 90 minutes late if I can show up. Hoping to make it though, this session looks to be an interesting one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 15, 2013, 07:39:54 pm »

Ok, I'll come up with a generic backstory, though if you want anything more specific I'll need to have a bit of world history to work with

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 15, 2013, 08:05:09 pm »

The three (well, technically four, but the fourth is a loose coalition of city states with no unified culture, mostly aping one of the Empires to one degree or another) nations, all Empires are fragments of a single Empire that broke up in a succession war (each of the three claimants took a Grand Duchy and called it an Empire) about 8000 years ago. The Aprilian Empire is heavily elven-influenced, with very general tolerance of cannibalism, and rather inclusive sexual mores. Beyond that, they're largely Roman, with a dash of ancient Israel for good measure. Even the commoners are generally polygamous, and the society as a whole is hyper-individualist (to the point where murder is only a crime if the victim was unarmed or under the age of 14). While slavery is outlawed, the concept of "judicial slavery" exists, where a person may be sentenced to enslavement instead of a prison sentence (in this case, limited to the term of their sentence) or execution. In the former case, strict laws regulate treatment, as their enslavement is more of a lease than a possession. In the latter, no such laws exist, although social convention does keep the relative handful of owners in check. They are technologically advanced, and their magic is both widespread and highly developed.

The Markavian Empire, which controls the major mineral wealth of the continent, is much more ordered. Polygamy is extremely rare outside of the nobility, magic requires a licence, which comes with strict usage limits (casting without a license or outside of the limits of your  license is a capital crime), and public possession of weapons beyond a sword, bow or knife requires a mercenary's or soldier's license. Recently, (as in somewhere in the last six months), the Empire has ceased to issue mercenary licenses, and no longer employs them, though existing licenses remain valid outside of the capital, and it is still legal to hire them for private reasons. (For various arcane reasons, it's illegal to kill a rival directly but legal to employ mercenaries to kill him and his family, raze his estates, and salt the earth so nothing will ever grow there again.) Slavery is outright illegal here, though there is a strong black market for slaves, which are generally horribly treated. The source of these is unknown, and most slaves are foreign peasants. They are the least advanced both technologically and magically, although they do have an edge in metalworking and mining.

The final Empire, Cinnabar, is aesthetically a mixture of Elizabethan England and Spain of the same era. The nation exists in a state of barely organized anarchy, with the Emperor a puppet of scheming nobles, the laws indifferently enforced, and vice beyond measure being made available by the vast trade network. Despite (or perhaps because of) this, they are immensely wealthy. Their large, well disciplined navy guards a global trade network, and anything can be bought in their markets, if you're bold enough to seek it. They are also quite advanced in many ways, largely due to their access to bits of lore from various islanders that they can put together in new ways. However, they are often quite slow to implement changes. It is believed that they were the originators of gunpowder and cannon, but the Aprilian fleet was entirely cannon armed 20 years before the Royal Cinnabar Navy managed the same feat. They are above-average in magic, and lead (admittedly almost by default) in the black arts of Demonogly and Necromancy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:55 pm »

....What's the stance of the Markavian Empire on enchanted knives? Would that require a mercenary license?

Also, what's the policy of flaws and traits? Standard 1 each?

Edi: Regardless, sheet updated with a basic bio
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:43:21 pm by tryrar »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 160