Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125631 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The mercenaries - Important announcements (now recruiting).
« Reply #2220 on: June 03, 2013, 05:36:50 am »

A quote from 34 months ago:
We are always accepting players.  Always.

I actually think that might be the official motto for this campaign.

We usually just meet for sessions, but I could give you the lowdown on an IRC channel sometime. I'm level 12, but the average party level is something like 14-15. There's quite a bit of plot to go through, so that will take some time to explain. RAM (And maybe Lucus Casius) are the only members left from the very original party, but I joined within the first 3-4 sessions. The first post is up to date except that we're just on the server list now, and not using Hamachi.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 03, 2013, 05:51:04 am »

Actually, I wasn't an original member either.

We meet up on Maptools build, umm, 76? Yes, 76 looks right... On, umm, pretty much twelve hours prior to this post, on a weekly basis. In theory... I recall the starting level being 15, but you might want to build up to twelve-or-so and finish off when the D.M. updates the starting level. I suspect that we are using standard wealth-by-level, but we might be equipping you with party funds, there were some issues with wealth-by-level a while back. At present there have been issues with attendance, the party likely consists of a, erm, it was designed as a grappler, but it is more or less a tank, mostly due to lucky H.P. rolls, and a cleric with an emphasis on turning undead, I think it can also muster an impressive spell barrage a couple of times per day, but its casting might be a little off generally due to level adjustment. Oh. and there is the D.M.P.C. sorceress, who used to be a player, so the obvious absence is a rogue, our rogue left over differences with hamachi, which we no longer use, it might be worth looking up Shoruke again now that we have dropped it. But really, turn up with whatever you feel like making, although their may be some campaign specific issues. Paladins are out I think, psionics too, and elves are more like Dwarf Fortress elves than Tolkien elves. You probably don't want to be a cleric of Takhiss... I don't recall seeing many gnomes or halflings, but that might not be a campaign thing...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:59 am »

Well, if anyone wants to give me a quick rundown...

I'm on

http://webchat.freenode.net/ <--

Chilling at #Bay12rtd

...I wonder if I could make a char in time to attend the first session. :P Ha!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 03, 2013, 07:21:17 am »

I figure just to get my foot in the door and get used to this campaign, I'll play a straight Swordsage, like what Sho took levels in.

Terribly simple, I know. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 03, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

A cleric with an emphasis on turning undead, I think it can also muster an impressive spell barrage a couple of times per day, but its casting might be a little off generally due to level adjustment.
I don't recall seeing many gnomes or halflings, but that might not be a campaign thing...
Eafoth's ECL is a little wonky because I had 3 level adjustment during character creation, missed a session where everyone gained a level or two via fiat, and then got a sea god to remove the level adjustment without commensurate actual levels. So while Eafoth was about ECL 15 like the rest of the party, I believe it's ECL 12 now. Thanks to divine metamagic, I can deal some wacky damage once or twice in a day, but 6th level spells are not quite as good as 8th level spells.

I think Zook was a gnome, so I think they're just uncommon.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:34:00 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 03, 2013, 05:39:23 pm »

All right, still hammering out mah char.

Can I get any direction as to our starting level and our stat generation method?

Judging by my search, we're doing 4d6 tho.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 03, 2013, 06:21:50 pm »

I'm sorry that I didn't reply earlier.  We do, in fact, use 4d6d1 to generate stats, are at level 15, and start with standard WBL. That said, I'd really prefer you didn't use a ToB class. The book isn't banned, exactly, but I omniloathe the mechanics, and this group is pretty low-op. ToB has a fairly high optimization floor, and may well be the most powerful character in the group.

Regarding halflings and gnomes: Halflings are Human/Dwarf hybrids, while Gnomes are Elf/Dwarf. As dwarves are relatively rare, both races are therefore rare, although the omnisexual nature of the elves makes gnomes more common than halflings.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:10 pm »

Humm, alright.

Can't have you pre-loathing me before I even get in :P

And I'm horrible at optimization. Tell that to my Spirit Shaman 15...lol. Love the class, but so situational as to be almost useless.

Atm, trying to make a sword/board character. Don't really wanna go the usual TWF/Buckler Defense though.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »

@Shonus: After some help from barb, I've settled on Knight/Hellreaver PRC. Is this okay with you?

Stats rolled

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/33219/ <--

And HP

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4075177/ <--

Also, would this be acceptable as a Knight variant?
 Steadfast Veteran
Prerequisite: Con 13
2nd Level Bonus Feat: Replace Mounted Combat with Endurance
Bonus Feat List: Replace former list with the following: Diehard, Enduring Life, Exotic Shield Proficiency, Greater Kiai Shout, Greater Tenacity, Imperious Command, Improved Toughness, Kiai Shout, Lasting Life, Tenacity

I don't wanna ride a horse <_<

http://codexofhonor.blogspot.com/2012/11/knight-variants.html <---
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:10:33 am by Dwarmin »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 03, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »

You can probably rearrange the ability scores if you want.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:39 pm »

So it sounded like Azthor also wanted to play on the IRC. What sort of character were you planning, Azthor? If I recall, it was some sort of wizardlike class. Aryana has some magic, but we can always use more.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 06, 2013, 04:46:35 am »

So it sounded like Azthor also wanted to play on the IRC. What sort of character were you planning, Azthor? If I recall, it was some sort of wizardlike class. Aryana has some magic, but we can always use more.

Aye, likely a middle-aged human wizard of TN or NG alignment. A tie-in with Dwarmin's character (as an uncle of sorts, perhaps) seems opportune and has been agreed upon, but it is down to Lord Shonus to see whether it is appropriate; I will post a link to the sheet for review once it is ready.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:29 am »

Yesm getting the sheets up to Mythweavers would be grand.
Read the First Post!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 06, 2013, 05:04:05 am »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=583550

There's mah sheet.

Didn't post it before because every time I get a thought, I change something on it...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 06, 2013, 05:38:10 am »

Just gonna point out a couple things:

+6 armor isn't possible, I don't think. You can have up to +10 total bonus, but only +5 enhancement before epic levels. It costs 36,000 gp plus the base cost of the armor.

Screaming isn't an item improvement that I've heard of. You might be thinking of the Thundering enhancement, which is +1 effective enhancement level for +1d8 sonic damage. Bane targets one creature type. Outsider would work, not sure if there are any effects that count as Evil Bane.

A +4 Thundering (+1) Dwarven Waraxe of Outsider Bane (+1) is a +6 item, or 72,000gp plus the cost of the cold iron and masterwork weapon.

It seems a little pedantic, but several of your custom items would have increased cost due to their weird domain assignments. The ring of resistance should be a cloak of resistance +5 (25,000gp), the cloak of natural armor should be a shirt of natural armor, the shirt of strength should be bracers or a belt of strength.

There is also the problem of wielding a two handed axe while wielding a shield. I might recommend getting the Animated Shield enchantment, but you're looking a little heavy on the magic items already. You easily have 300,000gp there. I might be out of touch with WBL, though. (I haven't bought new items in quite a while despite theoretically having loads of dough.)

Unless there were some feat requirement modifications, weapon specialization requires four levels of fighter. Greater weapon specialization requires twelve. I would recommend backing off on the weapon focus (since they're not super anyway) and taking some feats that give you more to do in battle. Examples:

Dreadful Wrath from PGtF gives you frightful presence. (Or you can just take Frightful Presence from Draconomicon.)

Fearless Destiny from Races of Destiny isn't super, but it lets you stabilize at -9 automatically once per day instead of dying. (At which point I can fix you.)

Mage Slayer prevents enemy wizards from casting defensively near you. Smacking a wizard instead of eating a Disintegrate is a good trade for a feat. Pierce Magical Protection/Concealment are fun feats in the chain that can tear apart some abjuration defenses.

You could only put this in your 15th level slot, but Defensive Sweep is fantastic against melee foes. With your Bulwark of Defense ability, they have two options. Stick around and eat a free attack at the end of their turn, or try to move away (without being able to 5fs) and eat a free attack. It's just a free attack against adjacent foes! Fantastic.

You might also want to look into reach weapons, if you're not set on the waraxe. Bulwark of Defense is by far the best ability of the Knight, and extending your threatened area extends the effect of that ability. You have a 15' threat radius? Everything within 15' is difficult terrain for the enemy. They can't charge, they can't five foot step, and they can't move very quickly either. Portable, constant terrain control is great.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:58:55 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 160