Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125749 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The mercenaries - Notice Given
« Reply #1635 on: September 08, 2011, 02:59:29 pm »

SHOULD be able to make it.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: September 08, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

I should be able to make it.

Also, guys, y u no input on stronghold design? We're supposed to be working on it out of session.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »

Because if I was designing it we would have one bedroom, a bathroom, a tiny kitchen, an armory, and about twenty walls.

I am bad at building strongholds.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »

I don't think that shape affects stats, so something like a star-shaped fortress doesn't have much advantage, except, perhaps, as a means of extending the distance between 'in front of the wall' and 'behind the wall' without increasing the thickness of the wall...

For the outer wall I would like something similar to this
Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)
Obviously the number of 'spikes' and the severity of angles would be subject to review, and there are details missing, but the basic principal seems sound.

I would like at least half as many soldiers as civilians, and we will want to start with somewhere to keep records. We will want some protection from underground and aerial attacks and something to stop magic. I would look into the technology behind rings of counterspelling and try to adapt that to an effect that wil protect as large an area of walls as possible. Hopefully it would allow us to automatically negate several disjunctions and dozens of disintegrates. Something else would be compelling to prevent the likes of stone shape which could be fielded in massive numbers, maybe something based upon globe of invulnerability. And, as stated previously, if the whole fortress was a single intelligent item, or possible several intelligent items, that would score bonus points...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 08, 2011, 10:38:09 pm »

We should also have cannons.

And that many drawbridges/gates seems like a defensive liability to me.  You'd need to guard them all at once.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:01 am »

That's definitely a thought, but we need to balance our need to enclose with our ability to defend- the longer our walls, the more troops are needed to be able to defend them from attack.

I agree with Lucus: any gate is a weak point, so it's important to minimize the number of gates that are available to be attacked and additionally focus defenders and defences in those areas.

That's why it's important to consider where we want to get to- and what we have to start with- to start out with we have no trained warriors, and I doubt that the majority of our inherited staff will be amenable to (or capable of) retraining.

I'm thinking that we should start out with the basic keep defensive structure and maybe a small curtain wall to initially defend our people that can't fit in the keep.  Initial landscape is also important to take in to account with design, of course- a river or a hill can serve as a great starting point for a defensive building. a hill near a fork in a river tends to serve as an Excellent place to begin a fortification... bearing in mind that there is a LOT in D&D that can subvert traditional defensive structures... (and that cannon fire from anything as good as the last 2-300 years IRL tends to demolish stone walls)

I don't know how anachronistic this should be considered for a D&D game, but this is the state of the art in fortification frmo the age of gunpowder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_fort

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:18 am »

No session tomorrow for me. Abduction into the wilderness by parents, it is.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: September 09, 2011, 01:40:31 am »

The draw-bridges in the structure are at the top of the walls, and allow access from the inside wall to the outside wall. I tried to have straight walls between the towers to have the fastest route available to move from one front to another. If you do not want to guard the drawbridge, then raise it, you cannot bring people in from the outer wall while it is raised but that is the price that you pay...

In theory, if the walls are breached at ground-level, then anyone entering will be surrounded, and it will be very difficult to completely depopulate the outer wall due to the inner-half of the diamond-shaped sections, which should be covered by the outer-half. If the outer wall is taken, then raise the draw-bridge and harass them from the inner wall(which should be slightly raised) and the towers(whose main purpose is to harass the outer wall. After being inspired by that article, I would suggest increasing the size of the diamond-shaped sections so that they extend beyond the wall and allow vision of the wall between them.

Note that this is D&D, not DF, an impact is less likely to model the mass and velocity of the projectile and apply a deflection modifier which degrades as it is deformed by multiple blows and more likely to deal fixed damage to a wall based upon the weapon used to launch it. So the angled walls here are less about mitigating damage and more about confusing people as to exactly where to teleport to and making it difficult to get close enough to use lower-level effects. For example, spider-climbing up the walls would require scaling the heavily-defended diamond section, or walking past it and hoping nobody there is looking.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:56:09 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: September 09, 2011, 06:00:46 pm »

True.

The real question is how powerful cannon are compared to other siege weaponry, and how prominent they would be in use by an invading god army.

In any case, we gotta start somewhere!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: September 09, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

I won't be able to start right now, but the server is up for general talkiness.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »

Server verified as up and working...
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: September 09, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »

We be starting in 10 minuteses
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: September 09, 2011, 09:23:46 pm »

Game cancelled due to illness.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: September 09, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »

In good news, I did get a chance to finalise my token levelling and make backups, also, we determined that the local mining guild is hiring assassins to kill us because they hate elves...

P.S.
 The above statements do not reflect the opinions of any author, real or imagined, and are probably the result of fictitious hallucinations...
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: September 10, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »

Sorry, not goin to make it tonight. My everything hurts.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 160