Poll

Will you be attending the next session?

Yes
- 9 (39.1%)
No
- 14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 160

Author Topic: D&D: The mercenaries - Game Concluding  (Read 125572 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: D&D: The Mercenaries
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

We didn't, but I'll make it about 25 hours from now. ((7:00 PM Wednesday EDT)).

Recaps ((Sorry, no logs yet.))

After their successful plundering of the ruins of LostSpears, the party was attacked by a female elf. Despite poisoning Dharsus, she did little damage to the party and narrowly escaped with her life.

Seeking to fence their large haul of items, the party traveled to the nearby port town of Mathanus, where they met the young sorceress Aryana in a magic shop. After Aryana accidentally burned down the magic shop and killed the shop owner, she joined the party.
     The captain of the guard told Naren to go to the courthouse if he was in the market for some mercenary work. Suspicious of the captain, and fearing a trap, Naren nonetheless decided to investigate. Leaving Dharsus and Aryana outside, he and Gurk went inside, where they were led into the dungeons. here they met a contact, the mysterious "Zero," who asked them to take out the headquarters of a group of dangerous assassins and saboteurs that were causing great damage to the Aprilian Empire. Naren accepted the large bounty, and they were thrown into the street.
     Finding that Ronald had been killed in the thieves' guildhall, which is located under a guardhouse, they decided to leave him that way, as nobody liked him anyway.
     Looking for a place to brief the party on their secret mission, Naren accepted the advice of a beggar, who informed them of an abandoned tavern. This turned out to be a trap set by their quarry, and the beggar, in truth a disguised spellcaster, ambushed them.
     Easily killing the beggar, the party is nearly trapped when the inn is set on fire. After a hot pursuit through the city streets, the party tracks the arsonist to a busy tavern. Entering, they soon find that the inn is a trap, with the crowd an illusion. They are attacked by the leaders of the assassins, which included a number of powerful creatures of various species, led by an Erynies. The ensuing battle was extremely difficult, but they managed to take down all but one of their foes, without taking any losses of their own.
     Battered but triumphant, the party returned to their base. There is a bit of commotion when they are greeted the next morning by the town guard, seeking to arrest Gurk for Murder, Destruction of Property, and Jaywalking. Dharsus and Cerrad prepare for a fight, but Naren restrained them, as this was prearranged. Sure enough, Gurk returned a few hours later, badly beaten, but with their pay in his possession.
    After a week to rest up, the party went into town to exchange the foreign currency that they had been paid in for something more useful. While there, an enigmatic child offered the party 10,000 gold to blow up a bridge. Despite the low pay, Naren agrees, as he expects blowing a bridge to be a fairly easy mission.
     The bridge is heavily guarded, and Naren spoils the party's (now including a half-mad goblin ranger that had wandered into headquarters) chance at a surprise attack by casting Dancing Lights over the bridsge to see what is guarding it. A force of goblins, commanded by dwarves and a half-elf, are thus prepared for the party's assault. Aryana catches half the goblins in a fireball, but her victory is short-lived. The half-elf, a wizard in his own right, retaliates with a fireball of his own badly wounding Dharsus and Naren, and killing Aryana. Thanks to the presense of the wizard, the fight is very difficult. Gurk is nearly killed, and the rest of the party takes almost an equal beating.
    After the battle, a wandering cleric takes nearly all of the loot in exchange for resurrecting Aryana. Gurk and Dharsus make short work of the bridge, and they head for home. Not far from the HQ, the child slips unnoticed into the party and pays Naren off. They then return to HQ and rest after the battle.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »

Also, I'd like the party members to write and post an occasional In-character journal. This way anyone reading can see through the PC's eyes, and it's a better place for a lot of things than the recaps. ((For example, your speculation on what the hell Angokor is would fit there better than anywhere else.))
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

((I might do my in-character journal later today))

I'll be about 20 minutes late for tomorrow's session; I get off work at the same time you scheduled it to start. Here's hoping you guys don't start doing anything too important before I show up, because I have some shopping (mine is always quick you guys, don't worry) to do, plus maybe a quick solo adventure.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2010, 07:45:13 pm »

Found some good armour, looks like some sort of big animal with horns. Tried it on, heh, feels like I could go through anything now. The boss'll take it when I go back, I could take her but those guards are fanatics...

Met some bunch of surface folk, sounds like they gonna end up tryin' to kill the boss, heh, might just help 'em do it...

Boss is dead, took 'er 'ead, had to split the loot with the newcomers, but still got more than I was getting before...

Have to travel under the sun, stupid surfacers don't seem to notice...((you will have to remind me that I get penalties in bright light, I keep forgetting...))

Work for some crazy mage now, takes half of our loot, heh, gunna have to do something about that. Still, Having more fun now than I did with Gurg running things...

Stupid humans got us doing some secret stuff, heh, gunna play along an get paid though.

Heh, stupid assassins came right out and attacked us, didn't take long after that. A magic type we picked up had some sort of crazy spell to make me bigger, heh, kind of tough to move around like that in a small room, but it worked well enough.

Had to take a fall to get paid, stupid guards tried to rough me up. Heh, walked out of there with more coin than they'll ever see, heh, still hope to meet 'em again some day...

Some kid paid us to destroy a bridge, with a magic type guarding it. Got blown up from both sides, heh, stupid magic. Both mages died and so did the bridge, good day, except that we lost most of the loot getting our mage back, heh, not so bad if they do the same for me someday...((spell to help with instant death))
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:32 pm »

There are tears all over this page, as if the writer is in severe pain.

June 16, 5634 AE - Aryana's Journal*

To those of you reading this,

If I am alive:
Get out of my room!! And stop rummaging around in my undergarments!!

If I am not...:
I have begun to write in this journal so that i can remember everything from this point forward. I don't know what happened during the last week, but it must've been something horrible, because Naren and the others keep giving me funny looks, like i could suddenly turn into a rabid bear at any moment.

When i awoke the other night, i had apparently just been brought back from death. And somehow my clothes had fallen off...right...And there was this horrible little green monster standing there and staring at me. Apparently he's working with us now, so...... Oh, and Angokor has apparently been spying on us the whole time. Must be powerful divination magic, because i can't see it when i use my powers. According to him, this headache is being caused by some kind of demon thing spying on us, but i really doubt if Angokor's salve will work. I doubt that it is even supposed to work, that horrible, perverted old man! Still, if it gets rid of this pain...

--End of entry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2010, 08:15:30 pm »

In-character Journal?  Fine by me.

-------

---

I'll have another entry up tonight or tomorrow, dealing more with Naren's reaction to Aryana's death and the cleric after the end of the battle.  Hopefully, it will explain it better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:40:45 pm by Lucus Casius »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »

All quite good, and in character. They represent the situation far better than any simple recap could.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »

Spoiler: Cerrad's journal (click to show/hide)

Whew, that was wordy. Well, that befits someone of 16 intelligence who spent his recent backstory travelling with scholars. I'll have another journal entry after the next session.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:30:50 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 10:45:31 pm »

*claps*
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2010, 10:47:05 pm »

Meditations of Dharsus, third brother of the fifth generation of the Clan of the Viper

This magic is a great and terrible thing.

I have learned well and made sure to remember that ki is greater than steel, these fists of mine have shattered armor and bent swords, battered bullets out of the air and broken bones. Ki has served me well.

After tonight's fight, I have seen a man incinerate one of my comrades and another man return her to life. I felt the heat of magical fire myself, and it is not a thing I would like to experience again. Even Aryana herself possesses this power though she is far too young and meek to really have it under control like my bretheren have mastered their ki.

For those who have mastered the arcane, I have the greatest respect and fear, whatever my new master Angokor has done over the centuries he's walked this plane he has earned a might I once thought reserved for the deities.

This new challenge invigorates me more than any other has before, the fiends and wizards pose a greater threat than any monk or warrior ever has. I find that I will not only have to put my ki to further reaches, but also that I must become better equipped and more well prepared the next time I enter battle. If I continue to rush into battles like Naren did in our encounter at the bridge, I may find myself dead not too long from now.

I worry about Naren and Aryana too, they're embroiled in these missions but they're too young to be prepared for this kind of work. I can't help but feel a little guilty when one of my comrades falls in battle so young and has to witness such terrible violence at that age.

I don't much understand Gubble, he seems a bit off. I didn't think it wise to provoke Angokor's scrying sensor. Boria never had any problem with misbehaving so I can oly assume that it is not a trait inherent to all savage humanoids but only a few.

I'll have to rest now. I still wish for us to have a name, something memorable. The Hand of Fate, the Band of Glory, the Fraternity of Fortitute...

I'll try to think up some tomorrow.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2010, 10:55:39 pm »

These are pretty awesome.  I'll start typing my explanation now.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2010, 12:38:41 am »

---

Not nearly as long as I intended, but it should explain a few things.  And raise a ton of questions.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:48:37 am by Lucus Casius »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2010, 02:21:45 am »

Bah, I dun' NEED no stinkin' journ'l, nor any 'o yer fancy wiz'rd-runes!
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:58 am »

Here's a map of the continent we're on right now, with all the places we've visited marked. The red dots are cities, red lines are roads, and black lines are borders.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 04:09:48 am »

Will the middle area shrink as your SEV empire's planets are steadily glassed?
What is the southeastern area named?
Do the islands get names?
How familiar are people with the underwater terrain?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 160