Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: surviving in haunted regions  (Read 7370 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: surviving in haunted regions
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 07:12:49 am »

Erm... guys?
I don't think this is a good sign

what should i do?

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 07:46:18 am »

Mass recruit the fort and try and dogpile him!
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:49 am »

Erm... guys?
I don't think this is a good sign

what should i do?

um...

I have a feeling you're screwed.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 08:13:09 am »

Question: in all my time playing DF, I've never seen an "evil" biome that had both undead *and* "magical" evil creatures. I've only played a little of 2010, but this seems to still be in place, and it seems that "undead" regions don't have evil plants/vermin either -- no sliver barb, no phantom spiders. (I once embarked on a "terrifying" mountain that had only Dark Gnomes).

Is this an actual thing or just my own bad luck? Can you get glumprong, sliver barb, ogres, werewolves, etc., in regions that also have zombie/skeletal animals, or are the two separate unlabelled "subtypes" of evil region?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 08:18:19 am »

Why the hell did you build a door?

Send your miner to build a small emergency underground fortress. Just enough to get all your dwarves in. Designate a meeting zone around the digging site. Then try to grab your anvil from the wagon.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 09:50:21 am »

Why the hell did you build a door?
cuz bridges don't block out the harpies which I've been getting the whole time beforehand.

edit:

Success!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:24:33 am by noodle0117 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »

Build a bridge outside the door. Then, when Ogres show up, raise the bridge. I believe raised bridges are immune to building destroyers if you feel exploity, or if you care to put a little effort into it you could build a moat.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:59 pm »

Build a bridge outside the door. Then, when Ogres show up, raise the bridge. I believe raised bridges are immune to building destroyers if you feel exploity, or if you care to put a little effort into it you could build a moat.
bridge/moat might be a bit tough since the entire underground is already occupied by farmland and storage area.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 07:48:38 pm »

When all else fails BUILD MORE WALLS.

I find doors that are lever activated work GREAT for lockdowns.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »

bridge/moat might be a bit tough since the entire underground is already occupied by farmland and storage area.

Then obviously you need a BIGGER MOAT

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »

It's like my old sensei used to say when I was learning Dwarf Fortress.

"Everything can be solved by magma"

"But sensei! my dwarves are burning alive and it's barely even hurting the Zombie hordes!"

"SILENCE! you are not using enough magma."
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:22 am »

It's like my old sensei used to say when I was learning Dwarf Fortress.

"Everything can be solved by magma"

"But sensei! my dwarves are burning alive and it's barely even hurting the Zombie hordes!"

"SILENCE! you are not using enough magma."

hello new signature

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

Ugh.  Harpies.  They're like pigeons on meth.  >:[  I feel your pain.

How DO you make your civilian woodcutters hold onto their axes when drafted? In my experience there is no correlation between whether I assign them to have axes or not, and whether they drop their axes on the ground or not.

Short answer:  You don't.  At least, I haven't figured out how to.  But it's fun to watch a naked woodcutter try to wrestle to death a werewolf that has forsaken its claws in favor of a pigtail glove taken from its first victim.  (They went on and on in a total stalemate for several minutes, until the werewolf eventually used up its migrating-through-the-map time and ambled offscreen.)

It's part of the Fun.

I've found that Axes get claimed for either woodcutting or military, but not both. So if you want to have your woodcutter join the military, you must first disable woodcutting, causing him to drop his axe. Then, draft him, and he'll pick up his axe and go slaughter things. Once that's done, you have to remove axes from his squad so that he'll drop the axe again, then return him to civilian duty and enable woodcutting.

Yeah, its a pain in the butt. I find it helps to either A) avoid this rigmarole by cutting down a bunch of nearby trees at the start and then disable woodcutting/assign squad axes in order to have your military dwarf do his other duties while carrying an axe he won't drop, or to B) make a weapon stockpile near your dwarf when making him drop the axe so he doesn't gallivant off-screen and aggro while his axe is on a random mountainside.

You, sir, are my new hero, for at least the next 24 hours.

Question: in all my time playing DF, I've never seen an "evil" biome that had both undead *and* "magical" evil creatures. I've only played a little of 2010, but this seems to still be in place, and it seems that "undead" regions don't have evil plants/vermin either -- no sliver barb, no phantom spiders. (I once embarked on a "terrifying" mountain that had only Dark Gnomes).

Is this an actual thing or just my own bad luck? Can you get glumprong, sliver barb, ogres, werewolves, etc., in regions that also have zombie/skeletal animals, or are the two separate unlabelled "subtypes" of evil region?

I've noticed the same thing since becoming an aficionado of evil.  I was going to say phantom spiders/zombies were confirmed, but that might have been the game I tweaked their info because...   I wasn't getting my phantom spider silk in a region that should've guaranteed it.  I've had several forts where I went in expecting werewolves and only got zombie deer.  (Hey, Toady?  Is it possible to have undead werewolves?  If not, you are totally missing out on an opportunity to torture us!)

Sliver barb failure has only happened to me when I embarked in areas with nothing but dead shrubs.  Never had an evil area without glumprong.  Could just be my luck.

My random guess is that since alignments seem to be on a sliding scale (0 to 100?), the amount of evil/savagery determines things like whether you embark someplace devoid of living plants, and whether you get "besieged" by zombie deer instead of werewolves and harpies.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 2 [3]