Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon Power  (Read 605 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Weapon Power
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:08:20 am »

How does the material and quality of a weapon improve it's ability? Will a wooden bolt kill just as well as a steel bolt? Do decorations help?

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Power
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:15:37 am »

Higher grade materials act as multipliers to damage.  Wood bolts do considerably less damage than steel.  You could enter the raw files and check specific sharpness and piercing values per material, but those stats are best help with melee.  Decorating bolts should not raise attack or damage values, but instead raise value and the dwarfs good thoughts.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:23:09 am »

Sadly this mans that your masterwork bolt that menaces with spikes of rock salt does no extra damage, shame about that.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:03 am »

You'd think it would be even less efficient if decorated, though.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:38:43 am »

Alright, thank you! So only the material of the bolt, and the skill of the dwarf increase damage done. Does the crossbow it is fired from matter? Or no since the bolt has left the bow by the time it hits?

Right now it does not matter because my Pro BoneCarver is spending a month just to make an elephant bone bolt because it is in a group of 60+ bones. Anyway to separate the bone group?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:42:05 am »

Right now it does not matter because my Pro BoneCarver is spending a month just to make an elephant bone bolt because it is in a group of 60+ bones. Anyway to separate the bone group?

There is no way apart from splitting the elephant into more parts before killing him ;P
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:42 am »

To my knowledge, crossbow material only matters if you use it as a club. Bot material, bolt quality and crossbow quality should all matter, decorations on either should not.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:22:09 pm »

Higher grade materials act as multipliers to damage.
This was true in 40d, but in the new version material properties are more nuanced than that. One material isn't strictly better than another. For example, silver can't hold an edge and makes a terrible sword, but its density makes for a powerful warhammer, as currently there aren't any significant penalties for using a very heavy weapon. The extremely light adamantine on the other hand, hits about as hard as a hammer made of styrofoam. The DF wiki article on metals gives as good an explanation as I can.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.