Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floodgate  (Read 464 times)

Muncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floodgate
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:57:43 am »

Hey guys...
sorry if this is a newbiw question , but how do i make this floodgate work without killing one of my dwarfs?
here is what i am trying to do:
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7605/semttulotd.png

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgate
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:59:28 am »

Try hitting d - o - r to set the area past the floodgate as restricted.  If that doesn't work, dig out a tile either above or below the floodgate spot to let the dumb dwarf out after he places the floodgate.  You then rebuild the wall with b - C - w.  They will build it from the room and not the hallway.

Muncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:04:31 am »

yeah , the problem is not the dwarf being there , the problem is that tomine the remaining part of the wall to let the water in , i have to sacrifice a dwarf...

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:06:45 am »

you can channel out the tile above the wall that blocks the water now.
Alternatifly if you don't care for a small amout of water coming in you can of course always just open the floodgate mine it out making shure there is a dwarf close to the lever and then pull it again when the water is flooding in.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:54:50 am »

No, no, no.

What you do is designate a wall to be built on the left side of the floodgate, and immediately suspend the construction (q-s) (just make sure the stone you make that wall use isn't located where the floodgate is).

That way the dwarves will build the floodgate from its right side instead. After that, just remove the designated wall all together (q-x).

Alternatively, just mine out a tile north or south next to where the floodgate will be, and construct a wall there to replace the mined square once the dwarves have finished installing the floodgate. They can't build walls diagonally, so the wall will be automatically built from the east.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:47:59 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Floodgates need to be "triggered" to open, so it'll need to be connected to a lever or something anyway, before it can be used to flood the reservoir/farm.

So do that as soon as it's built, open the gate, dig out (or fortify) the brook wall tile, RUN AWAY, Survive.

The tunnel probably won't fill fast enough to drown Urist (admittedly the longest tunnel I've used for this was one 1 shorter, but I doubt that'll make a noticeable difference).

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:32 am »

Assuming there is land above, (d)esignate a c(h)annel on the spot from above, channeling digs out the floor and wall below so dosen't risk a dwarf.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:55:34 am by Samohan25 »

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:29 am »

if its on the same level as the top of the water you can just dig out the last square normaly and the dwarf will barely get his shoes wet before running out. if the water is pressurised you can dig diagonaly to give the dwarf time to get out safely if you dont need the pressure.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:00 am »

alternatifly if you want to be shure no water can get in you can make a serie of floodgates. link them all to the same lever and let a dwarf pull it on repeat. That way all the water that gets in is instantly destoyed.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:03 pm »

Ok, I didn't realize you were talking about the water coming in.

Forget the floodgate, use a door there instead.  Once the door is placed, designate the spot to be mined out to let the water in.  The dwarf will leave, going through the door which will close behind him, preventing the water from coming through.  Once this is done, you then connect the door to a lever to be opened and closed whenever you want.  You don't do this before mining out the spot though, because a door connected to a lever will not let a dwarf through.