Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fps water plan  (Read 398 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
fps water plan
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:27:23 am »

The idea is simple: every so many (100?  200?) the game checks if a certain body of water has a spread of only 1 diffrence in water depth (for example 4/7 and 5/7). This would mean that these bodies of water would cause fewer fps isseus. This breaks when a wall is deconstructed near the body of water a hatch, door, floodgate or a mine/channel designation is completed.

Additionally it could work if a few tiles get bellow the standard level (1 tile 3/7) then one of the higher tiles could teleport into it (1x 3/7 9 x 4/7 15x 5/7 becomes 10x4/7 and 14x5/7 ). This would make it seem like there is a more complex system at work that actually simulates the detailed depth of the water way more then just the 1/7's accuracy that it actually does.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: fps water plan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:32:49 am »

This is actually very similar to what already exists in-game.  When you break a wall holding back water, it actually takes something like 50 steps before the water "realizes" this, and the dwarf who broke the wall can run several steps away before the water starts chasing him.

What this game really needs is a way to stop calculating every single tile of water individually, and blindly throwing water back and forth.  See:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61215.msg1427367#msg1427367
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare