Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do chained creatures move between z-levels?  (Read 503 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Do chained creatures move between z-levels?
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:50:05 am »

So right now I'm testing some interesting ways to drop military dwarves from normally fatal levels safely into combat. Not for any practical purpose, but because I think it's cool.

If I have a kitten or monkey or something chained on top of a wall, with eight down ramp tiles surrounding him, will it ever go down if confronted with a threat like a goblin?

My tests so far involve captured elves and rhesus macaques, but I don't have enough prisoners to test this thoroughly on my own. It initially seems that no, the kittens or monkeys won't move, but I can't be sure.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do chained creatures move between z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:31 am »

In .40d I noticed that a Dog I chained to the area above my harvesting Door moved between the Zs to be inside the doorway itself, being one tile left and below him. Became impossible to remove him due to miners being in the process of removing Ramps, so the way he got down was no longer there, moving to get up would remove him from the tight area of his allowed chain limit so therefore remained stuck and locked there...

I believe that Chained animals could move the full 3x3x3 tiles around their chain setting, though its unknown if it happens in the current version...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Do chained creatures move between z-levels?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:34:21 am »

..moving to get up would remove him from the tight area of his allowed chain limit so therefore remained stuck and locked there...

So you managed to strand a dog a level below his chain, then? That's exactly what I need, and much better than having the kitten or whatever occupy the same tile as the chain. This opens up possibilities to use pressure plates that get activated when the soldier lands on the kitten and cushions his fall.

Like activating cave-ins to give the falling soldiers a cool dust cloud, like they just slammed into the ground all awesome-like.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.