Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will all worlds generated in DF die eventually?  (Read 1774 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Will all worlds generated in DF die eventually?
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:58:30 am »

Because in DF won't the races gene pools get exausted at some point or will the game just create some more of that race?

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will all worlds generated in DF die eventually?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:10:17 am »

I think history stops progressing once you start either mode. Or so I heard.

That being said, someone needs to set an incredibly distant end date and other parameters so as to find out if the world will die with natural progression of history.

I don't think it would. But I'm not sure.

FOR SCIENCE!
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:08 am »

It is possible for races to eventually die out, but more likely one or two races will thrive and populate the world.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:48:04 am »

Not if it's all DESERT! Mwhahaha!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 07:23:27 am »

History stops at worldgen, so this goes one of two ways...

Either you can set a worldgen for something insane, like the year 10,000,000, and see what still lives, or you can stop worldgen at a normal time, and play as per normal.

The first way, it's improbable that you would kill EVERYTHING, as most populations are unbounded by a need for food, and as such, it's largely a matter of out-reproducing the crap that kills them.  As the crap that kills them die off, they start becoming a sort of invincible super-race that dominates the world.

Basically, this means that megabeasts get an early shot at wiping out whole civilizations, but if and when they start falling, the civilized races are only vulnerable to each other, which typically means everyone but the elves and kobolds (with their inferior tech) have a decent shot at it.

Things like wolves, meanwhile, are generally just plain unkillable, since anything that has a large population to start with, and doesn't have to have mechanics for marriage will always out-reproduce anything hunting them.

The OTHER kind of kill the world is most definitely possible... if you're willing to make it happen.

Sentient species stop having babies, so they're easier to kill.  Dwarves and humans even die of old age!  You can kill every living sentient being in the world if you try hard enough.  The same with animal populations, it's actually possible (if unbelievably tedious) to kill every living animal (plants and fungi aren't directly killable) in the world... if you do it manually.  Wild animal populations do still occasionally go up, and won't go down on their own, you have to kill them personally.

You'll know you've done it when you enter The Age Of Death.  Then, you can happily have your adventurer kill him/herself, and declare that you've "Won Adventurer Mode", because killing every living being on the planet is that mode's only current objective.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:50:50 am »

History stops at worldgen, so this goes one of two ways...

Either you can set a worldgen for something insane, like the year 10,000,000, and see what still lives, or you can stop worldgen at a normal time, and play as per normal.
Tried this, the max year you can set it to is 10,000, and everything is still very alive then.

You'll know you've done it when you enter The Age Of Death.  Then, you can happily have your adventurer kill him/herself, and declare that you've "Won Adventurer Mode", because killing every living being on the planet is that mode's only current objective.
Someone has to do this, even on a tiny world (16x16? maybe 8x8), but this /has/ to be done.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:57:26 am »

It has been done. That's why I know it can happen.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46033.msg909277#msg909277
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:43:40 am »

I wonder what happens when you play a fort for a hundred years. Nothing is having babies except inside your fort. I wonder if all the men will drop dead of old age and that will be it for them.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:09 am »

Currently, as long as your civilization exists, migrants will come in infinite numbers, and are spawned at the time they enter your map.  Likewise with seiges.  Neither can ever run out, so long as their civilizations still exist, and as goblins are immortal, and nobody attacks them once gameplay starts if not for you, yourself, as an adventurer, then goblin towers are totally immortal in Fortress Mode (until we gain army arc 2).

I don't know if it's possible for dwarven civs to die of old age in fortress mode.  The respawning liason seems to argue there's always at least one, and if a dwarven civ ever captures an elf or goblin, they guarantee the immortality of their civ, at least outside adventurer mode.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »

But what about humans? I wonder if they will be suddenly gone once my fort is finished, I'm already on year 18. Actually, you're right there will be at least be my human diplomat who gets replaced. It might be all up to him though...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 03:15:26 pm »

Dwarves multiply. I think it is possible to have an infinitely sustainable population inside a fortress with no migrants coming in.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 03:23:44 pm »

Dwarves multiply. I think it is possible to have an infinitely sustainable population inside a fortress with no migrants coming in.

Of course that is true inside the fort.  The question was about whether external populations were sustainable, or whether everything just dies of old age because external populations do not continue to reproduce.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 06:41:24 pm »

As far as I know, all abstracted world gen stops once you've embarked at a fort. I don't believe that random events continue to occur even in between forts, so yes, eventually everything will die of old age. But I haven't tried...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

However, I don't think the game even checks for the continued survival of human civilizations as long as you keep the fortress running.  As long as the diplomat still exists, there is at least one human still in existence, and the civ is still "there", and caravans keep being sent to you.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »

I wonder what happens when you play a fort for a hundred years. Nothing is having babies except inside your fort. I wonder if all the men will drop dead of old age and that will be it for them.

I did this, kinda. I started a fort where the parent civ was dead. No immigrants apart from the first year's waves. Everything after that was children growing up. I ran the fort for 25-30 years, though with invaders disabled.

I stopped playing that one after I messed up a waterfall and hurt a few dwarfs in a cave in. The lack of trade caravans from anyone (dwarfs were dead but humans were nearby) made it too boring to continue, plus my screw up wounded the best miners. Skill rust had made my doctors imbeciles by then so they were goners.

Huge numbers of kids with few adults to look after them and produce food and drink leads to some huge problems. Be prepared for that if you decide to try one of those forts.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.
Pages: [1] 2