Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will all worlds generated in DF die eventually?  (Read 1772 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will all worlds generated in DF die eventually?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

I've genned up to 8,087 on my current world.  The elves were wiped out but the humans/dwarves/goblins are still going on strong.  I think it becomes increasingly unlikely that extinction will occur after that; the destruction of the elves led to the dwarves' rapid expansion free from gobin/human interference.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 04:38:42 am »

I did an experiment on worlds beyond 2000 years, back in 31.05, I think. Total annihilation of sapient life only occurred in one instance; a small world with a very high number of megabeasts. (I think this was when BC's were utterly unbeatable..) The first thing that happened when taking my first step in Adventurer Mode was: "You have reached the Age of Emptiness!" So, yeah xD
The more usual result of a 2000~year old world was that one or two civilizations survived while all other fell. If two survived, they usually were located on the other far end of the continent, or on another continent altogether. The surviving race or races were normally humans with high numbers and spread across the map, as well as dwarves. Goblins got usurped in the usual way in every single instance, and the elves... The elves were finished off early during worldgen, or happened to survive to become complete badasses by the virtue of becoming legendaries in their own infinite lifetime.
The large majority of civilizations fell by war, or more commonly, "the 882nd Rampage of Ivo Armoredlion". After the surviving civilization(s) were left alone and undisturbed they eventually fell into some kind of stasis. These communities had the luck of not being close to the invulnerable BC's, so not even rampages showed up on the Timeline in Legends. I had some worlds were only a sole elf civilization survived, and nothing happened after their last neighbours fell in year 1000. Absolutely nothing in 1000 years up to 2000. Civilizations with mortal citizens would of course die and become parents and take up positions and so on.
I expected the civs to at least spread throughout the world, but no new settlements or roads were built. That's the complacent and apathetic future for ya!  :P   
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:01 am »

I believe elves cannot actually expand (although this may only have been true in the old versions), at least, by themselves.  They can conquer nearby towns, and start populating them, but they were kept from making new towns of their own because it was thought their infinite life and quick repopulation rates would dominate the world...

Except you get what you saw: 1000 years of nothing because all the people who get put in civilian jobs survive, have kids, and then hit the arbitrary 10-child-limit, and hence are forever after infertile.  The children of these people are put in the military because all the civilian jobs are taken, and are sent off to die with no training and inferior wooden weapons.  Goblins, at least, have the advantage of just stealing children which can add some new blood into their culture.  Elves just send all their children off to die, and if nobody murders the infertile immortals, they basically just sit there with their thumbs up their asses for all eternity.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »

That somehow seems very elf-like.
But that doesn't mean Toady shouldn't fix it to make it more realistic.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 [2]