Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fairly recent player, trouble transporting magma and water.  (Read 568 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fairly recent player, trouble transporting magma and water.
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:21 am »

Alright, been playing a little while, only my current fortress has problems with this. Perhaps caused by distance.

I've been making cisterns for the wells and shallow chambers for the magma workshops, connecting 2-wide tunnels, and tapping into brooks, rivers, or volcanoes.

Now in my current one, magma and water travel a fair little distance relatively quickly, slow, get some into cistern of chamber at 1 and two, and never add any more.

Shouldn't liquids eventually fill these, even if it's slow from the distance? Am I doing something wrong?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fairly recent player, trouble transporting magma and water.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:22:02 am »

I think, at least for long distances, there can be an issue with water evaporating and magma cooling, if it's allowed to sit at depth 1 for any length of time.

If it's going to be a long tunnel, especially for magma, I tend to put in a pump or two to help keep things moving.  Or at the very least, a z-level drop near the source to create some extra pressure to push it along.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:06:12 am »

Hmmm. So, just at a couple lace, a channel, then a pump to force that?

Could make them more narrow, at that. But I often don't have an effective way to power the pump itself.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:41:24 am »

this pump could be either

hhhhp>hhhh

or

hhhhhhhhhhhh
hp>h
h=channel
p>=pump
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:14:15 am »

If it's going to be a long tunnel, especially for magma, I tend to put in a pump or two to help keep things moving.  Or at the very least, a z-level drop near the source to create some extra pressure to push it along.

This ^

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:47 am »

Hmmm. So, just at a couple lace, a channel, then a pump to force that?

Could make them more narrow, at that. But I often don't have an effective way to power the pump itself.
Do you need that pump to constantly be powered? Once the channel is filled, what use is it? Just make a dwarf do the job.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:57:50 am »

These are from infinite sources, right? If it's from a murky pool the water will just spread out and evaporate.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.