Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How few dwarves are needed to support a 200-dwarf fortress?  (Read 1593 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How few dwarves are needed to support a 200-dwarf fortress?
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:44:47 am »

This could be counted as a poll but isn't really. I'm just wondering what could be considered the minimum for running a complete fortress rather than, say, a hermit playthrough, with the understanding that "complete" is absurdly vague. Basically, how many dwarves do you, personally, have to have actually doing work other than hauling in your fort when it reaches 200 dwarves?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: How few dwarves are needed to support a 200-dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:32:38 am »

200?
I don't quite get the question.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:46 am »

Well, how many idlers could you possibly have before things become unsustainable? Clearly, 200 dwarves doing nothing are unsupportable, but can one dwarf support 200? can two?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:10 am »

Well assuming you have all the infrastructure in place, and you don't have to worry about a military or other fun stuff, I imagine ~8-15 dwarves could manage the food and booze. Maybe 1 more for coffins/body disposal if you're thinking long term.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:40:38 am »

Ten Dwarfs will just Single-handedly Support and Hold up a 200 dwarf fortress

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:12:43 am »

I have one almost legendary brewer (just about) keeping a fortress of 180 refreshed. I have four farmers (1 legendary) and two chefs producing much more food than required. Two farmers and one chef might suffice. Clothes need to be renewed over time.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:11:13 am »

I have had, on occasion, tons of excess from my original 7.  Although in DF2010 I artifically cap my population around 40 or 50 for easier control.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:14 am »

A lot less than you think. I don't know about 200 because i usually stay a round 100/150.
But for that, just a couple of planter, a cook and a brewer, maybe a crafter or 2 if you trade, i don't think you need more if you close the fort from invaders and stay in autarcie, but i don't think it will be a lot of fun, you'll get bored pretty fast honestly. It's nice to watch your fort runing for a couple of year when it reach a nice balance, but that's it.
In fact im' pretty sure you could support a 100 dwarf fort with your seven pionners, the rest could be drunk haulers and fat soldiers that only spar full time if you want.