Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Characters chosen  (Read 34173 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Gauging Interest
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:21 am »

I don't see any skills, base saves, or base attack bonus. It may also be difficult for people with criminal aspects to their backgrounds to become officers. Finally, I am concerned that your hit rolls are trying to kill you. All things considered however it looks good.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2010, 02:15:46 am »

You forgot your Con bonus to HP.

I don't see any skills, base saves, or base attack bonus. It may also be difficult for people with criminal aspects to their backgrounds to become officers. Finally, I am concerned that your hit rolls are trying to kill you. All things considered however it looks good.

I see the skills, at least. But yeah, mostly looks good.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 02:31:14 am »

I was going to address the criminal issue further but due to the uncertainty of when the campaign would actually begin--be it on the ship to the academy, or at the academy.  I decided to opt to leave it for right now as a sort of in-between.  But yes, I understand that.  Basically, he will get into the good graces of the navy whilst in transit or after arriving.  They will discover his usefulness and adept-ness, thereby utilizing it.  I don't know what sort of leeway there is between the recruitment and the first bit of officer training, but I was counting on a little bit.  Sticky, I know.  Furthermore, would it possible to just be crew, rather than an officer? (that, of course, goes to the DM, Cthulu)

I forgot the saves and base attack.  Added now.  Also, the Constitution modifier is +1, so that would make 21, correct?  Still pretty bad....

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2010, 02:38:16 am »

What is this about academies and training? We are glorified pirates, we will get no help from any navy.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2010, 02:48:36 am »

What is this about academies and training? We are glorified pirates, we will get no help from any navy.

The first post explains it all.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:32 am »

The PCs will most likely start at level 5 and at least at the beginning will probably be privateers drafted into a royal Navy.  They'll sail the seas fighting the enemies of their kingdom and being awesome pirates.

We are privateers. We are not really part of the navy. Privateers=people who are legal pirates.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:25 am »

The PCs will most likely start at level 5 and at least at the beginning will probably be privateers drafted into a royal Navy.  They'll sail the seas fighting the enemies of their kingdom and being awesome pirates.

We are privateers. We are not really part of the navy. Privateers=people who are legal pirates.

Yeah, sorry.  I was mainly concerned about the officer training.  In light of the privateer revelation, it seems okay that they would recruit criminals of various sorts... you know, to be criminals.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 03:15:47 am »

Crypt about the naming, it's the name that was put in the first post, but if i read it correctly we can come up with a name together
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:57 am »

Oy. He dun edited the Op without me knowing. Ignore all the crazy things I have been saying.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2010, 03:34:28 am »

I forgot the saves and base attack.  Added now.  Also, the Constitution modifier is +1, so that would make 21, correct?  Still pretty bad....

It's +1 per level, making your HP 25. Which is still not great, but at least not suicidally low for an archer.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2010, 04:32:27 am »

Roger Blackwater

Hit Roll: 1d10-1=8, 1d10-1=9, 1d10-1=1, 1d10-1=8

Background: Roger is the son of a merchant who made firm relations with many coastal cities, including a few Dwarven outposts. He was also a privateer for the Navy, sinking ships of the enemy on the high seas. Roger continued the family business, both as a trader and as a hired pirate for the Royal Navy. Roger spent most of his time training with the sword, and has a tongue as sharp as his sword. While his idea of piracy has more in common with story book swashbuckling than actual piracy, roger is ready and has a head for adventure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:14:09 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:44 am »

You're still going to be in the Navy, and have some Navy support.  You won't be part of an official fleet and you'll mostly work alone (And thus you'll need to be self-sufficient), but you'll still receive some support, mainly in the form of compensation for defeated ships.  Bring proof you sank a ship and you'll receive compensation.  Bring the ship and you'll receive more.  Bring the ship and its captain and you'll get even more.

Carrion's background looks alright, if the criminal record is a result of shenanigans, they'll probably figure out that he's not a bad guy.  Moreover, someone with expert knowledge of wilderness and animals is important in a world where here be dragons.  When some crazy ass monster latches onto the bottom of your ship you'll want someone who knows what it is and how to kill it.
Shoes...

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 05:16:48 am »

I was almost going to post a  dragon hatchling character but I was too lazy
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 07:14:35 am »

Roger Blackwater

Hit Roll: 1d10-1=8, 1d10-1=9, 1d10-1=1, 1d10-1=8

Tell me if I did anything wrong. I write up the description and back story later when it isn't 5:00 AM over here.
I suspect that your first mistake was to set the character sheet to private, although it might just be me...

I was almost going to post a  dragon hatchling character but I was too lazy
As far as True dragons from the SRD go only the White Wyrmling is low level enough and it adds up to exactly 5th level, so you don't get any class levels to start with, also it is Evil... But if you have something that isn't a True dragon from the SRD, then that would be great, there are not nearly enough dungeon PCs!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:37:22 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:27 am »

Yeah, that's one problem.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31