Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Characters chosen  (Read 34130 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Characters chosen
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

Yes, it's that time again.

I've been considering DMing a game of 3.5E D&D with a nautical theme.  The PCs will most likely start at level 5 and at least at the beginning will probably be privateers drafted into a royal Navy.  They'll sail the seas fighting the enemies of their kingdom and being awesome pirates.  Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be more fantastic things to do.  Underwater adventures, slaying huge sea monsters, all of that stuff will almost certainly happen over the course of the campaign.  I'd be using Stormwrack for most of the sea rules, although I may end up figuring out something special for ship combat.  It'll probably mostly end up with boarding actions, seeing as there aren't many abilities that actually hurt ships in a no-gunpowder world.  Even a fireball isn't going to do much, wood doesn't burn as easily as you might think.  Clever use of spells will probably be required if you want to sink a ship with magic.  (Example:  High level mage casts reverse gravity, lifts ship into the air and drops it, it founders.  Of course the kind of mage who can do that could also teleport in, fill his bag of holding with the ship's entire treasury, and teleport out.  Ship combat is interesting when magic comes into play)

Here's the thing though.  I don't plan far enough ahead.  I usually have no idea where things are going past the next adventure in a campaign, and I end up hitting a wall and the game falls apart.

I'm not gonna do that this time, I'm going to have an outline ready beforehand and a general idea of what will happen.  The players will influence and shape it with their actions, but I won't be flying blind unless you do something completely insane.  This will likely eliminate the risk of another failed campaign.

While I consider various storylines, I'm going to be seeing if I can get a good-sized group of people so I don't waste a bunch of time.  You can decide on a character concept, maybe even make your character, all that stuff.

I'm pretty open on what supplements you use, and I can probably at least temporarily get my hands on just about any common splatbook you need.  Obviously things in Stormwrack will be accepted and maybe even encouraged.  The game world is run under the assumption that Darfellan, Hadozee, all the new races in Stormwrack exist.  If you want to use something, say it and I'll look it up.  Unless it's something stupid or obviously broken (Warforged :/) it will probably be accepted.

One thing though, psionic characters will probably not be available.  I don't like them, I feel like they're out of place in D&D.  If you really want one, I might be able to be persuaded though.

You don't have to know how to play, but I'd really prefer you did.  I can teach one or two people as we go but if the entire group has never played and has no idea what they're doing we'll have problems.

Likewise, you don't need the books, but at least having some form of the player's handbook would be helpful if you already have it or have "obtained it" (You bad horrible person)  I forgot, the D20 SRD has all the information you'll need to make a basic character.

So there you go, if you're interested post, and meanwhile I'll be making sure I have enough material that the game won't die.

Important thing I forgot:  We'll probably use Gametable or Fantasy Grounds 2.

Alright, here's how the campaign will most likely begin:

You will be residents of a decent-sized port town in a very large human empire.  One day a flagship of the Royal Navy, the Avenger (Working name, can't think of anything better) sails into port to collect its yearly quota of crew and officers for the academy.  This year you're drafted as a potential officer, being one of the more skilled young people in your village.

Note that you're not all necessarily in the same village.  The ship goes on a tour of a large part of the coastline collecting people.  It then takes you to the naval academy at the capital.

The first adventure will probably be a condensed version of your training at the capital, providing a safe and thematic way for the newer players to learn the ropes.

I HAVE CHOSEN THE STARTING PCs:

Aerion Revion, Elven Bard(RNG)
Eleya, Raptorian Fighter(Wolfchild)
Ghenor Irucha, Aventi Swordsage(Criptfeind)
Gulliver Longtide, Shoal Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer(Kinseti)
Meredith, Mermaid Druid(RAM)

Other characters are not necessarily out, just on standby until they're needed.

Map of the world:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:12:04 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Gauging Interest
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:41:14 am »

Resident newbie posting interest. I have played a grand total of... five 3.5e D&D sessions, but I am interested all the same if you're willing to tolerate me floundering through while I try to learn the ropes.

Out of those five sessions I was a druid for two and a cleric for three, so I kind of want to try a non-divine caster this time... Paladin maybe, but I was thinking Rogue or Sorcerer(Yes, I know Sorcerers are weaker than Wizards). Maybe Fighter.

As far as material goes, I have the 3.5 SRD bookmarked which contains most of the information in the PHB. I think. I haven't 'obtained' a copy because I dislike doing that(though I guess I could if I should really have it).
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:08:22 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the SRD.  I'll update the OP accordingly.

And no, the SRD has everything the PHB has.

Sorcerers aren't weaker than wizards, they're just different.  Sorcerers are generally better at combat, because while they don't have as many spells, they don't prepare them beforehand, so if you go through an entire session without ever needing a non-combat spell, you didn't waste slots.  A wizard would have to plan ahead and use several of his slots on utility spells and the like.  Wizards have more spells though.

And paladins are divine spellcasters.  You should keep in mind, whatever you pick, that you'll be at sea most of the time.  The traditional plate-armored sword'n'board tanky fighter/paladin is going to be out of his element.  Players should consider builds that rely on lighter armor, as falling into the water in heavy armor will most likely result in death.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:11:41 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:58 am »

I will join. Also I love you Cthulhu. Can I ask what world if any this will be in?

I am thinking... Cleric? Maybe. I am getting tired of arcane magic because that is all I ever play. I think I will be something new.

Can we use the tomb of battle?

Edit:

Ghenor Irucha
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:02:34 pm by Criptfeind »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:17:53 am »

I do not have Fantasy Grounds, but am interested in the setting, a druid or paladin with an aquatic theme could be loads of fun...

mermaid druid

Joke character, but it can be fixed into something useful if someone actually wants it...

Everyone's characters...
Melee
Criptfeind's Aventi Swordsage
wolfchild's Raptorian Fighter
RandomNumberGenerator's Human Fighter*
LukeProwler's Human Fighter
Chutney's Gnome Rogue
Mysteriousbluepuppet's Human Barbarian

Ranged
Carrion's Human Ranger

Caster-ish
kinseti's Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer
RandomNumberGenerator's Elven Bard*

Caster/Melee
RAM's Mermaid Druid

I got less lazy and compiled a list. My apologies to anyone who's enraged that I linked to the posts and not the actual character sheets.

Somebody needs to enlighten some of our fighters as to the wonders of Tome of Battle. And I'll end up playing a kobold wizard again at this rate.
Alright, so far I believe we have:

Ghenor Irucha
Aerion
Pelos
Meredith
Gulliver Longtide
Remy Lumpwinkle
Jack
Roger Blackwater

I think that's everyone, if I missed a character say so and I'll add it to the list.  I'll peruse them and decide on one.

Faux-Edit:  oh u

Org's Rogue/Sorcerer
Criptfeind's Wizard
Sheet for wolfchild's Raptorian Fighter, which was missed in the above Cthulhu post
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:35:16 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:24:44 am »

And paladins are divine spellcasters.  You should keep in mind, whatever you pick, that you'll be at sea most of the time.  The traditional plate-armored sword'n'board tanky fighter/paladin is going to be out of his element.  Players should consider builds that rely on lighter armor, as falling into the water in heavy armor will most likely result in death.
Yeah, but they're more fighters first and casters second, which is still a different direction. Still, you're right about the plate thing...

I am thinking... Cleric? Maybe. I am getting tired of arcane magic because that is all I ever play. I think I will be something new.
So I've only ever played divine casters, and you mostly only play arcane? Role swap! Well, maybe. I still fancy the idea of trying out a Rogue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:26:56 am by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:26:07 am »

You can use the book of weeaboo fightan magic, but I will look at him with quite a bit of scrutiny.  If he doth be weeaboo, I will slaye the wretch and make thee create anew.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:36:36 am »

Why is Weeaboo a bad thing? Quite frankly I detest Weeaboos but I can not really see why someone would care about someone else being a Weeaboo.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

I'm interested. I'm familiar with 3.5, although rusty, and used Gametable a couple times in my horrible aborted attempt at DMing a campaign. The plus side now is while my work hours are still weird, they're at least consistent now, so if my schedule works I'm totally down.

I sort of feel like trying out a Rogue/Sorcerer, but it depends on what other people want to play. I'll change if it helps round the party out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:45:35 am by kinseti »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:22 am »

Why is Weeaboo a bad thing? Quite frankly I detest Weeaboos but I can not really see why someone would care about someone else being a Weeaboo.

I'm talking about the character.  If your character falls under my definition of "weeaboo" (And if it does, you'll know when you're making it) I will not accept it out of moral reasons.

Don't worry, unless you're actively trying to make it weeaboo it probably won't get the axe.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:52:06 am »

Okay so I opened my it is wet outside book to page 63. Now I must ask, do paladins get sharks or other water critters as mounts?

FakeEdit: Holy shit that is a seal!

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:54:00 am »

I'm considering playig, but what time and day will it be

If im in i will be an aquatic elf, and some kind of psychic class, probably a shaper or a wilder
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:33 am »

I'm not sure what time, I'll deal with that later.  Also note that I don't like psions.  You can make one, but if it's not very very good I probably won't take it.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 02:05:59 am »

So because I have no life I am going to start making a char, so I must ask, how are we handling stats, hp, and moneys?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:24:15 am »

ok no psychics, fine (its just i never get to play one)

hmm, il just browse a bit and see what makes me go "ooh that looks interesting"

edit: how about a Shugengia(probably spelled that wrong, but its from the complete divine) of water?

edit the second: what ability method are you going to use (probably not rolling, but an arrar, point buy?)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:28:46 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31