Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Characters chosen  (Read 34147 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Cogs and Corsairs - Nautical 3.5E D&D - Gauging Interest
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »

Wow, we have a lot of people going rogue. I guess that makes sense being pirate-themed and all, but still... Maybe I will go Bard or Sorcerer instead, just for some diversity.
Hey im going for a flying fighter, boarding actions anyone?

Actually, it was a commissar, and I was only thinking about it.
I think it was a commissar.

Edit:The guys at OOTS are telling me to take some Swashbuckler levels, but I can't find the class! Noooooo!

Try the Complete warrior
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »

Wow, we have a lot of people going rogue. I guess that makes sense being pirate-themed and all, but still... Maybe I will go Bard or Sorcerer instead, just for some diversity.

Also, criptfiend offered to be our buffmonkey divine caster, and I'll have some arcane spells, so the starting group actually has a pretty good spread.

Don't be a bard, though. Because they are terrible.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

It was a sergeant.  You weren't thinking, you stated openly "I punch him in the face"

You hadn't even spoken to him beforehand.

Alright, here's how I think I'm going to do things.  Four or five players.  Everyone can make a character, or even more than one if they want, and I'll pick the four or five I think are best and fit the setting best.  The rest will be waitlisted (Or possibly even openly rejected if they're retarded).  If your character doesn't fit the setting we can always figure something out.  Maybe the PCs picked him up at an exotic port or something.
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 05:59:47 pm »

Actually, it was a commissar, and I was only thinking about it.
I think it was a commissar.

Edit:The guys at OOTS are telling me to take some Swashbuckler levels, but I can't find the class! Noooooo!

Try the Complete warrior
I don't have that.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »

So Cthulhu, are we using point buy for abilities? Or are you just going to veto any ridiculously uber characters?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »

I was considering being a Monk earlier, and those are pretty bad as well, aren't they? Besides, aren't Arcane Tricksters generally considered to be low-tier as well?

Ah well, I suppose I can do something different...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »

Is there such a thing as an aquatic kobold?

There is. Just putting it out there.

Edit: Also what book are the flying lizards in Wolfy?

Edit the 2ed: Water orcs are there as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 06:33:14 pm by Criptfeind »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 06:44:25 pm »

tier not flying lizards, thier bird people and they are in the "races of the wilds" book, and as a reason why im adventureing, it'ssimple, I am on my "walk of the four winds", nice and easy, and built into the race
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »

I was considering being a Monk earlier, and those are pretty bad as well, aren't they? Besides, aren't Arcane Tricksters generally considered to be low-tier as well?

Ah well, I suppose I can do something different...

Heh, I don't really have a bard hate on. It just seems that whenever someone talks about Bards in D&D, someone else pipes up about how horrible they are. I thought it was protocol. Bards and Rogue/Sorcerers do cover a lot of the same ground though, if we both ended up in the party.
Also, I thought monks sucked at first but were pretty deadly at high levels. I don't know. No one I know ever played monks, because they seem boring and not very customizable. Arcane Tricksters aren't really a uber combat class, but it looks fun and I don't like to munchkin anyway.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

monks would be good in an oceangoing campain, they don't wear armour, you might want to get the feat called fanged strike though, it will make you're unarmed attacks piercing, and underwater all non pirecing attacks are at a disadvantage

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

Well right now I'm debating between the following:

Fighter(Specializing in Trident & Net) who was a fisherman before joining the navy.
Bard who had developed wanderlust after telling one-too-many stories in the tavern.
Monk on a quest of spiritual fulfillment.

I have a general idea how each would play, as well as a very simple backstory for each I plan on fleshing out later.

Oh, and I'm going to be a human, unless I choose bard, in which case I may be an elf.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2010, 06:55:21 pm »

Anyway, I thought something was odd, I thought the bird people can only glide, I have never played one past third level and I forgot they can fly at fifth.

Anyway Monks are okay bet generally there are better ways of playing the martial artist.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

Remember, this isn't a powergamer campaign.  Just because something isn't optimized doesn't mean it's not good.  Play what you want to play and I'll figure a way to make it work and be useful.
Shoes...

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »

I am going to stick with the Archery Ranger.  As for the animal companion, could I ask how much underwater traveling we will be doing?  That would have some bearing on my choice.  Truly, I would like an eagle, but sharks are cool too.  Also, it would have some bearing on any back story I choose.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »

Remember, this isn't a powergamer campaign.  Just because something isn't optimized doesn't mean it's not good.  Play what you want to play and I'll figure a way to make it work and be useful.

Ya fun beats all.

As long as you are here can you tell us what to do about stats and money and health?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31