Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I require bees  (Read 1715 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
I require bees
« on: July 31, 2010, 04:36:04 pm »

I bid you welcome, people of the Mod.

I am not a modder myself, so I figured I would just ask this question here: can any of you make me a new creature, namely a giant (read: about as big as a dwarf) bee? It should: be six-legged, flying, pretty badass (able to take on a goblin with on-par or slightly sub-par gear one on one), have a sting and bite attack (with the sting being poisonous, if such a thing is at all possible), war- and hunt-trainable from the start and cost few embark points. I need this creature for a succession fortress and would really like to avoid the hassle of having to learn to mod and then make it myself.

Thank you in advance for your hypothetical kindness.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I require bees
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »

I'll get working on one. I'm a sucker for detail, but it shouldn't take long. Any specifics on embark points, syndrome effects and the like?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:45 pm »

by syndrome, just to clarify, he means, what is it you want the bee sting to do poison wise. on the wiki there is a list of the stuff. type in syndrome into the search field.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:18:05 pm »

you can use the Antmen as a base, and have a honey extract for one of the casts :D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »

Edit: Done.

Honey's a good idea. Here's what I've done so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Note that this is based on Mayday's VBASE and so won't work right off the bat without it. When the time comes, I'll include cut-down versions of the necessary files providing he does not object)

In summary: available as cheap pets on embark, somewhat fast, somewhat smaller than a dwarf (just over 2/3 size), born very small, becomes considered an adult within a year but takes longer to reach full size, found somewhat rarely in the wild (savage forests, caverns), appears in large clusters. Standard invertebrate immunities (pain, stun, fear). Venom causes pain and swelling in the affected area. The occasional red-coloured one might show up.

Now that I've gotten started on this, I may as well begin to take advantage of the caste system...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:06:07 pm by 3 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:33 pm »

Don't forget to make them milkable for honey :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:59:50 pm »

for a suggestion on cast stuff, can the queen possibly have no max age and continually grow? Just thinking of stumbling across one in adventure mode. Workers falling to my epic Axe skills left and right since I am dwarf and I am taller then them by a third, then I find the queen, who has been down in this cave since time began, 1500 years of growth, my Axe hacks away at the massive beast to no avail as it rolls over and crushes me.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:13:02 pm »

I don't understand how I've managed to break this, but I'm now getting the old "no tissue thickness" error despite pretty much everything being the way it was. I think I've either moved or removed (or some combination of the two) every tag in the entry by now, but it's still not going away.

If it wasn't for that, these'd probably be considered done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »

You have one less body detail entrie in the second post could this be the problem?

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]

holly crap that is a litter size!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 11:47:28 pm »

Yeah, I deliberately took that out as it didn't seem to serve a purpose (CHITINOUS_MATS_TISSUES already points to the same thing).

The litter size is that high because the bees die out fairly quickly and there'll only ever be one breeding female per group (or less).

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 02:48:53 am »

The 'no tissue thickness' problem I might have an idea on: sometimes, the game doesn't always look at new files [for things like new materials or body detail plans], so if you move the relevant body detail plans into the default one, it MIGHT work. Or I might just not have had enough sleep lately...
Oh, and the second argument for NAME is 'gaint bee'.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 05:37:21 am »

Whats with all the creature variation tags? Pretty hard to tell whats wrong with it without knowing what those do.

Chances are you put them in the wrong order. Make sure the tissue layer definition comes last, and body definition first (it reads from top to bottom).

Fake edit: Yeah, you body tag is below the tissue layer tags. It doesnt like that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 06:11:55 am »

Seems pretty good so far. They should probably also have a somewhat weaker bite attack, having them only sting seems pretty weird to me. Remember that I need to embark with them, dunno if that is going to be possible with the queen having [PET_EXOTIC].

Um... I tried creating one in the arena and the game crashed with a "floating point exception".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 06:14:05 am by Oglokoog »
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:53 am »

The raws posted above are incomplete. Its got a whole bunch of tags refering to another file which are not in the stock raws.

Also with only 1 queen in 3251 bees chances of aquiring the queen will be... marginal at best. The fact that exotic creature taming is bugged also doesnt help. Might want to leave out the pet_exotic tag.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 07:23:12 am »

Very cool idea!  But... would the bee die after stinging, as in nature, or would it have a more wasp-like "can sting as often as I want"?
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!
Pages: [1] 2