Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to remove dead creatures from the unit list?  (Read 2666 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ask this because I started a hermit fort and seeing 2-3 screens of "Deceased" is a little annoying. They do seem to fade on their own after awhile though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to remove dead creatures from the unit list?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

Nope, not unless it's a new feature.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 04:19:04 pm »

Are you sure they fade? I always thought they clutter the list forever.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:31:37 pm »

It seems to take quite awhile before they fade. This fort lasted about 1-2 years before the first creature vanished. It was a giant rat my first caravan killed.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »

I suspect that the fading of the rat may have been some sort of bug, as I have never noticed any such phenomenon.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:21:49 pm »

they he "should" make it fade.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:41:56 pm by noodle0117 »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »

I suppose "he" would be more accurate than "they" considering we're talking about Dwarf Fortress. I hope that, if it wasn't stealthily implemented already, that it does get implemented eventually, though with the way legends works it would probably have to wait for the rewrite that will allow history to continue after worldgen ends. Also, there are problems like perhaps I don't want the legendary axedwarf and patriarch of the largest family in the fortress, who slew the goblin king, to ever fade from the list.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »

Maybe make it so that creatures you look at return to the list. So if you check out some megabeast's corpse in your cellar, or your legendary dorf's coffin, they're re-placed on the list for a short time.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »

I'm not sure having it fade would be the right solution, but I agree that it can get hard to search through the list after a while. If they faded, I wouldn't be able to go back and review the names of Forgotten Beasts that have attacked my fort, etc. I'm thinking that a string filter in the Unit List would be sufficient, or a hotkey to toggle deceased units off and on.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

rezon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:01:41 pm »

Why not just made a keypress hide the selected creature from the U-menu, in that case, it can be found by unhiding at a later point but doesn't mess in everyday viewing.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »

I wonder whether that kind of thing might not accumulate too much and turn into lag in very old forts.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »

It would be nice to have some sort of filter in the U list....

Show/hide living dwarves
Show/hide dead dwarves
Show/hide living wildlife
Show/hide dead wildlife
Show/hide living Uninvited Guests
Show/hide dead Uninvited Guests

etc etc...
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:20 am »

Just filtering out the thousands of DRAs (Dead Random Animals) and slaughtered puppies would be a start.  And after a while, the thousands of random goblins/elves that were killed.  It could be on a tab based system like the z-screen, with live dwarves on the main page, current visitors on another tab, then live animals, dead named foes, and dead everything else.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:00:34 am »

Filtering is good. Also, having it like the normal scroll-down menus where you can skip past a whole page rather than having to scroll down the whole thing manually would be nice.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:09:56 am »

Some sort of filtering or categories sorting option would be very helpful on a large fortress that has killed innumerable creatures, both in sieges and for butchering.
Pages: [1] 2