Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arming civilians, good idea?  (Read 965 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arming civilians, good idea?
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »

Right so I've been thinking of equipping my civilian dwarves with some basic equipment. I won't even give them metal stuff, I'm thinking of equipping them with obsidian shortswords.
This way whenever a dwarf needs to defend himself from say a goblin thief or wild animal, atleast he stands a fighting chance. But then again arming them with weaponry means that berserk dwarves will be difficult to manage.
Anyway, arming all civilians with a self defence shortsword, good idea bad idea?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arming civilians, good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:13:14 pm »

If you want them to survive being hit, why not give them cheap bone/shell/wood armor? They're going to run as their first option anyway.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:19:40 pm »

The idea is once they are in a dangerous situation to temporarely draft them in the military to have them fight instead of run and get killed trying to escape or something.
Also I've found my dwarves sometimes insist on going to fight somedamn forgotten beast no matter what, they just rush in  the battle instead of fleeing  ::)
Plus won't the wearing the armor make  them tired? Can't have tired workfolk...

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:27:28 pm »

Obsidian swords aren't bad at all, well it wasn't bad in the older versions, since it could be compared to steel sword nothing less!!! I don't know how they perform now tought.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:56:20 pm »

Good idea. Or at least, Fun idea.

The downside I have not yet seen mentioned is that if any dwarf tantrums or goes berserk, he's going to do so while well armed, possibly with some experience using that weapon, and surrounded by fleshy targets.

IMO, if you want everybody to be combat ready, then go the whole way and crank out some cheap leather/bone/shell armor to go with it. The survivability increase is huge, and could give you the time you need to activate the squad before they die horribly.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:20:52 am »

I'm not sure about the current status, but in earlier versions of 31.x civilians who were drafted would not reliably ever do civilian work again -- instead, they'd do individual training.  This is where all the fixes have been going in, so there's a good chance it works as intended now.

But really, ==Trekkin.  Just give them light armor and they'll survive long enough to run.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:08:46 am »

If you want them to survive being hit, why not give them cheap bone/shell/wood armor? They're going to run as their first option anyway.

I thought armor slowed them down a little?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:26:19 am »

I'm not sure about the current status, but in earlier versions of 31.x civilians who were drafted would not reliably ever do civilian work again -- instead, they'd do individual training.  This is where all the fixes have been going in, so there's a good chance it works as intended now.

But really, ==Trekkin.  Just give them light armor and they'll survive long enough to run.
Actually if you just keep the civilians in theyre own squad, and do not assign a training barracks for that squad they will just keep working as civilians. i have used this before also and it works just fine. theyre actually beating up the lone troglodytes and hoary marmots sometime instead of just running away. downside is that your legendary armorsmith may happily attack those five goblins that he bumbed into while fetching that +Pig Tail Sock+
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:18 am »

yes armor can slow them down but if you only use light armor you will be ok.

i say mail shirts and a axe for every one.
the dwarfs in high risk jobs i.e. woodcuters ,or high vaule skills can have more armor.

berserk dwarves will be less of a risk as every dwarf will be harder to kill and can hit back harder.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

every dwarf will be harder to kill and can hit back harder.
Urist McHeston says "you'll take this axe out of my cold, dead hands."