Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about backpacks, water, and butchery.  (Read 825 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions about backpacks, water, and butchery.
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:54:01 pm »

So I'm getting ready to head underground, I've got all the best equipment I'm going to be able to get (Higher quality bronze) and I can get food by killing things, but what about water? Are waterskins still bugged, and even if they're not, how easy is it to get water down there? Should I bring some with me?

EDIT: On a side note, aside from food, is there anything really useful that you can get from animals? Aside from throwing ammo.

EDIT 2!: I just killed a giant, but he managed to take away my backpack, I had to drop my shield to pick it up, and now the backpack is stuck in my hand, and I can't get it back on my back to pick up my shield again. What do I do? Disregard, figured it out, it's [w]ear
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:13:35 pm by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about backpacks, water, and butchery.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »

You drink vomit or blood from your horribly mutilated/pulverized foes. I don't know 'bout carryin' though.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:15:15 am »

I'd recommend finding a giant cave or similar where they've stolen a lot of booze over the years, and fill your waterskins there. But then again, I usually play adventure mode as a dwarf.

The times I've explored underground the biggest problem was getting tired and needing to sleep... you can get pretty unlucky there, even if it seems pretty safe.

I think if you take 3 or 4 full waterskins you should eventually run into flooded areas before you die of dehydration. Well, you're more likely to die of boredom or something vicious first, anyway ;) You can probably fill the waterskins from the pools of blood of your victims too, but I'm not 100% sure if that's drinkable.

you can tan skins from animals, (other things too but it's a bit buggy, you just get 'leather') and use them to sew yourself more waterskins, quivers, and backpacks... but you also need to gather plants to weave the threads to sew them, and also for bowstrings for making bows and crossbows. You can make bone bows, crossbows and bolts/arrows if you want to train the skills up, you'd probably want to grab bronze weapons and ammo to actually kill stuff though.

I'm not sure how well the game treats the properties of the bone/teeth you use to make the arrowheads when calculating penetration/damage, it's possible you could make a really awesome spear or arrow out of dragon teeth if you killed one, but I can't remember if that's been implemented, successfully modded in, or just a wishlist item. I honestly don't use ranged weapons much myself, I like axes.

Oh. Also, I play deon's genesis mod when adventuring. I don't know if you can do all that crafting in vanilla, haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:37:23 am by Nat »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:10 am »

no all you can do with the normal version is slap two rocks together.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:24:04 am »

If you want a long-term supply of drinks, use a backpack, not a waterskin - while a waterskin only holds 3 units of liquid, a backpack holds 100. Bonus points for filling the backpack with booze (from a cave surrounded by stolen puddles of alcohol).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.