Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Encrust with...  (Read 1787 times)

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrust with...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 02:08:36 am »

Well, even something like a "Max Gems: N" setting would be nice...

Currently if I have five thrones to be encrusted and 20 different gems, I'll end up with one very expensive throne and four cheap ones.
Then I could at least say 'Ok boys, no more than 4 gems per throne, now get to work'.

"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:38:27 am »

Expanded decoration options at the other workshops would be nice.  Barring the ability to decorate specific items, I'd actually like to see Decorate Furniture broken into additional categories.  Possibly I'd like to see the category of furniture broken up all over the game, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

As an example for decorating, I've got a decent-sized stockpile for exceptional-quality furniture, directly over my gem workshop.  The only types of furniture allowed in it are the types that would most readily be used to add value to a room: doors, cabinets and chests, bags, statues, beds, that sort of thing.  That in itself is a bit of, er, "gaming the system" to ensure that the dwarves decorate what I want them to decorate.

But then I realized I needed yet another kludge (burrows), because my carpenter's workshop is too close by.  If the carpenter is building barrels and bins and the like, the gem setter is just as likely to grab a finished one from the neighboring workshop instead of encrusting the furniture in my stockpile.  It was bad foresight to lay out my work area that way, but it would be nice if you could tell the dwarves to decorate more specific types of furniture.

At the very least, it is a bit odd that the game considers utilitarian items like mechanisms, pipes, millstones, buckets, and barrels to be in the same category as 'formal' furniture like beds, chests, statues, tables, and coffins.  You can use some of the utility items to add to room value, but with the way things are now, it's as if the dwarf will grab the first thing not nailed down and speckle gems all over it.  :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 07:32:03 am »

Actually, we could have two seperate systems, one would just be "jam any decorative crap into any furniture you can grab as fast as you can!", and the other should be like the build construction menu - pick a specific piece of furniture, and a specific item to decorate it with.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 07:51:59 am »

Actually, we could have two seperate systems, one would just be "jam any decorative crap into any furniture you can grab as fast as you can!", and the other should be like the build construction menu - pick a specific piece of furniture, and a specific item to decorate it with.

this is what i want

and whiel we are at it  how about better stuff besides

Spikes and rings rings

u know like bone and stuff is used in inlays and images
more detail  im sick of ever thing being RINGS SPIKES and that crap
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:59:45 am by Uthric »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 08:05:34 am »

What?  You aren't impressed when your shield menaces with spikes of pig tail?!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:07 am »

There could simply be a limit of one material type decor per item. Admittedly it doesn't allow for crowns with different types of gems in them and the like but it'd be clean and fairly intuitive.
Pages: 1 [2]