Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Encrust with...  (Read 1786 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrust with...
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'd love to see expanded encrusting options for bones, shells, etc like gems have. With gems, I can choose to encrust furniture, finished goods, or ammo, but with all the other encrusting options it doesn't let me choose.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrust with...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:10:40 pm »

Just use stockpiles and dumps next to the workshops doing the encrusting, its actually very easy and once you do that you will see that you don't really need any other options.
  That way you can make objects with more than a whole page of addons :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

Yeah, but this is one of those things that you shouldn't need to use an exploit to get what you want...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »

It also doesn't stop the "closest first" thing where the dwarf in the dining room who responds to the job will grab a stack of ammo or a sock or whatever rather than the furniture that I want encrusted.  It should be a relatively easy option to add, since it already exists for gem encrusting.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »

I still don't understand why the option to encrust ammo was included in the first place. When has anybody ever made jewel-decorated ammunition in real life, where bugged value multipliers don't work?

Unless ammo is due to be made into a major trade good for some reason, that really ought to be removed when encrusting gets its upgrade.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:00 pm »

I really wish we could select specific items for decoration. It's an option on the eternal suggestion board, but it only has 4 (Or was it 3?) votes. One is mine. x) It's really along the same vein as selection specific stone to use for mason workshops and specific wood for carpenter workshops.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »

I still don't understand why the option to encrust ammo was included in the first place. When has anybody ever made jewel-decorated ammunition in real life, where bugged value multipliers don't work?

Unless ammo is due to be made into a major trade good for some reason, that really ought to be removed when encrusting gets its upgrade.
Eventually I can see super sharp gem-tipped bolts.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:35:56 am »

Actually, the damage bolts do is laregly determined by their mass, so adding on several pounds of extremely rare and valuable gems could make it hurt more... if you don't mind actually firing 100,000 db bolts at the rate of 30 per second.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 08:21:28 am »

Use burrows. You can make make a stockpile for stuff to encrust even on the other end of the map, and it would still work as long as there are is no other stuff to encrust in the burrow.

Actually, the damage bolts do is laregly determined by their mass, so adding on several pounds of extremely rare and valuable gems could make it hurt more... if you don't mind actually firing 100,000 db bolts at the rate of 30 per second.

Decorations do not add ANY additional weight to the item.

Yeah, but this is one of those things that you shouldn't need to use an exploit to get what you want...

Where is the exploit in the method described by s20dan?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:26:32 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 09:25:38 am »

Decorations do not add ANY additional weight to the item.

I see, my mistake.

Where is the exploit in the method described by s20dan?

Setting up stockpiles (or burrows) to force the selection of the specific items that you want is an exploit, based upon knowledge of the game mechanics.  Many of the workarounds for DF's shortcomings (like dwarves walling themselves in) are exploits of the coding that we have to use because the game gives us no other option.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 12:06:41 pm »

Setting up stockpiles (or burrows) to force the selection of the specific items that you want is an exploit, based upon knowledge of the game mechanics.

I definitely do not agree.
This is one of the main purposes of stockpiles and burrows, intentionally made to work this way, so how is this an exploit?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

It's an exploit because you have to use the game's mechanics against it to get what you want out of the game, rather than having a clear in-game option that lets you have the control you really should have.

When the game is deficient in control, players are forced to rely upon exploits of the game system to try to jury-rig a solution to their needs.

Simply because I say it is an "exploit" does not mean I'm calling people who use it "evil cheaters".  I'm saying they're taking advantage of game mechanics to obtain an effect the game does not normally allow you to obtain.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

It's yet another proof of the versatility of burrows. However, one should be able to tell the dwarves to decorate mugs and low quality clothing with common animal's bones and green glass gems, if so inclined.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

I understand I can use burrows and stockpiles and carefully crafted production orders to achieve the same thing.

But we already have the basic choices with gems. It should be relatively easy to add it to the other encrusting options as well. (Note the use of the word relatively, obviously I don't expect a magic wand to be waved and the options added instantly, bug-free.)

The options being on shells and bones and such wouldn't seem to hurt anyone's play style. No one has mentioned any way it could, so far. At worst, if someone wanted to encrust everything with everything, they would have to add a few more work orders set on repeat. Encrusting options for all materials could only help players, not hinder them.

I really wish we could select specific items for decoration.

I'd like to see that too. :)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:36:31 pm »

i really would like to see an option to pick what its i wanted i have stuff added to, i shoudl not have to go threw 15 steps to get that 1 gem added to that 1 chest, it normally takes me  at least 7 mins to set it up where my dwarf will add the gem to the right peace of armor than it will for him to do it witch is just a pain
Pages: [1] 2