Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dehydrated dwarves will not drink?  (Read 862 times)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dehydrated dwarves will not drink?
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:52 am »

Hey, I've been playing DF for some time, through many forts, but I can't figure this one out...

All the 20-30 dwarves in my dining hall are dehydrated. I have 69 units of drink according to the stocks, none of which are forbidden. The doors to the hall are not locked. One dwarf just walked from my stockpile past the doors to the dining hall, so there should be a path.

Help, anyone?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dehydrated dwarves will not drink?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:41:35 am »

Do you have any burrows? (Although I was under the impression dwarves do leave them eventually if they get really hungry or thirsty)
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

I do have burrows, but there are no dwarves assigned to them... I only use them to keep my dwarves safe during ambushes and the like.

It's also true that they will eventually get drinks/food if assigned to a burrow, but I don't know if they've reached that point yet.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »

Well, they might still be restricted by a burrow if you activated one from the military screen.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:07:15 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that: I've made sure the current civilian alert doesn't have any burrow restrictions.

Edit: I deleted all the burrows just to be on the safe side, and it made no difference.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:12:06 pm »

Okay... What kind of entrances are there into the hall or stocks? It's possible you have built ramps incorrectly or misplaced up-stairs or down-stairs.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »

As I've said, there are dwarves walking in the hallway the dining hall connects to, and from there to the stockpiles...

Could it be that no more than one dwarf can use a barrel at a time? So they're all sort of "in line" to drink? If so, that sucks, as my dwarves have started dying...

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »

Yup, that's it. Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at the same time.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 02:24:56 pm »

and this is a general formula for some dwarves dying of thirst.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 04:25:34 pm »

If your drinks stock is below 100 in a semi-mature fort, then there's not enough barrels for everyone to drink at once. Mass brew immediately.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.