Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minerals?  (Read 595 times)

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minerals?
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:38:59 am »

Is it only me or there are really much more minerals in a mountain than in previous versions? I can't dig an inch in a claystone layer without striking some kind of coal or iron ore, and there are several star rubies/sapphires in each bauxite cluster.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minerals?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:54:44 am »

It's not you.  This has been discussed before and many people agree.  You can download older versions to confirm too.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:06:09 am »

In principle it's possible to mod the frequency of veins and stuff, but current anecdotal evidence is that it's not working as intended.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:41:38 am »

Would be cool if there was a world-gen option for the mineral abundance. Together with the upcoming world economy it might then actually be exciting again to hit a gold vein.
In a world with extrem mineral scarcity such a find could trigger king, goblins and even unprovoked human sieges, because all of them are greedy bastards.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 04:52:23 am »

To dwarves, gold just isn't exciting compared to adamantine. Platinum and Aluminium are valued higher than gold.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 05:07:59 am »

Well, Aluminum WAS more valuable than gold until 100 years ago or so. The Washington Monument was capped with aluminum because it was a precious metal. With electricity came a new method to refine aluminum, and now it's used in everything, but before that it was rare indeed.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:10:37 am »

actually electricity was already used (it was the only way to make aluminum.) This was done by effectifly making batteries. 
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:26:40 am »

From what I can tell from wikipedia, pure aluminum doesn't occur naturally, so DF might actually be inaccurate in this regard. It certainly was expensive when the first forms of smelting it from ores were discovered, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#History

It was discovered in 1827, and the electrolysis method to extract it from bauxite was discovered in 1886. So it was only really known about and expensive for ~60 years.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Native aluminium metal can be found as a minor phase in low oxygen fugacity environments, such as the interiors of certain volcanoes.

So it can be found in a pure state, but it's pretty rare.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 02:08:18 am »

Back to the topic, I also find it strange that while iron became less useful for weapons and armour, it still has a value of 10. It is extremely common now, while bronze is considerabbly more difficult to obtain, which still has a puny value of 5. Strange, huh?